Eningeering/physcis double major?, physics than EG grad?

In summary: I think it would be a good idea to do both, but ultimately you will have to make the decision that is best for you.
emoney
I'm currently having a tough time deciding between engineering and physics. I find many of the topics interesting various engineering fields mainly, such as electrical engineering, chemical engineering, and aerospace. But i also have an interest in physical topics such as nuclear physics and quantum physics and some more theoretical physics and i really would like to learn about this stuff also.

I'm just about to start my sophomore year at college and I need to make this decision quite soon. I went into freshman year as an engineer. First semester i did not have physics, but had chemistry(general). This class got me interested in chemical engineering. I also took physics 1 mechanics. Halfway through Second semester I declared chemical engineering and physics double major. At the end of the year I actually really struggled with organic chem, and had trouble motivating my self to study the reactions. Over the summer I've gave it more thought and I think wouldn't be handling that type of double major, it would just be to much unless i stayed additional year at my university. I also reflected upon my decision to do chemical engineering, I feel like i was to influenced by taking only chemistry first and not yet takings physics 2 or 3. Anyways, I really have strong interest in those 3 engineering disciplines, but I also have this interest for physics that I wouldn't get to learn about in some of these engineering majors.

My plan right now is maybe to do physics or applied physics, to satisfy my interest in physics and get a strong foundation in the science of engineering, then maybe i will attend grad school and specialize in an engineering field.
At my school, the applied physics major consist of core physics major requirements plus 15 credits hours of courses in the College of Engineering of chosen field.
I'm considering this as a good option.

As far a career, I want to to aim for a more applied physics and hopefully work at the forefront of developing advanced technologies in cool labs :)
The problem is have to much interests in these different engineering disciplines. I feel like doing a physics undergrad then an aerospace masters or electrical engineering masters is a reasonable route, but I am not so sure of doing this for going into chemical engineering if I decide later i want to specialize in that.

Also all my prospects its hard to really know what type of engineering I want do as I have not yet been in any specific engineering intro class yet, because that begins first semester sophomore year. Also my wide interests are just killing me when it comes to makings this big decision.

Because of this I feel the the plan i talked about above is probably my best bet, by i have some doubts about it.
I havenoseen anybody take this route in becoming an engineer. Is it a wise decision if i have interest in physics and different engineering? Have any of you guys done this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering majors like Mechanical and Aerospace are essentially applied physics. Stick with an engineering major for undergrad; it has better career prospects. Later on if you wish to pursue research you can always PhD in physics or other natural sciences.

You can just do both. I know several people who did this and having a physics background really helps with the engineering classes.

Related to Eningeering/physcis double major?, physics than EG grad?

1. What is the benefit of doing an engineering/physics double major?

The benefit of pursuing a double major in engineering and physics is that it allows for a well-rounded education in both fields, providing a deeper understanding of how the two disciplines intersect and complement each other. This can also open up more career opportunities in industries that require knowledge in both engineering and physics.

2. Is it difficult to balance the workload of an engineering/physics double major?

Balancing the workload of an engineering/physics double major can be challenging, as both fields require a significant amount of time and effort. However, with good time management and organization skills, it is possible to successfully manage the workload and excel in both majors.

3. Can I still graduate in four years with a double major in engineering and physics?

It is possible to graduate in four years with a double major in engineering and physics, but it may require careful planning and taking a heavier course load each semester. It is important to consult with academic advisors to ensure that all requirements can be completed within four years.

4. Will I need to take extra courses to complete a double major in engineering and physics?

The number of extra courses required for a double major in engineering and physics will depend on the specific requirements of the university and the courses that overlap between the two majors. It is important to carefully plan out the course schedule to ensure all requirements are met.

5. What career options are available for graduates with a double major in engineering and physics?

Graduates with a double major in engineering and physics have a wide range of career options available to them. They can pursue careers in research and development, engineering design, consulting, and many others. They may also choose to continue their education and pursue a graduate degree in a specialized field within engineering or physics.