Engineering Vs. Computational Science

In summary, the decision between a master's in computational science and a bachelor's in engineering from Temple University comes down to career goals and job opportunities. While the computational science degree may be more aligned with your interests, the engineering degree may provide more job prospects and recognition. Consider the cost and reputation of the schools as well before making a decision.
Poker-face
Hi all,

I am in the middle of a major career change. Need some help deciding on a major? Currently I am back to school for my second degree as a math major. I found out late in life I am pretty good at math and find science very interesting. I have decided I like math and science, but want major in something that uses it instead of just studying it (if that makes sense). I just completed Calculus 1, calculus 2, Physics 1 and physics 2 with nothing lower than a B+. The school I am at offers an accelerated computational science degree ending with masters, which should take me about 3 years. I should mention this is a small state college, good school though.

Today I just received an acceptance letter from Temple University's school of engineering. If I were to go this route it would take me 2.5 to 3 years to earn bachelors in civil or mechanical engineering. I should mention I find both degrees very rewarding.

My questions are in this economy what degree will give me the best job opportunities?
Also is a bachelors in engineering as good as master's in computational science?

Pros and cons
Temple
Pro-Bigger school better name recognition
Con- almost $8,000 more a year
Con- not sure about engineering in this economy

Stockton
Pro- already known by faculty
Pro- cheaper tuition
Con- Degree program is brand new, only one graduating class thus far
Con- not sure about name recognition

Thanks for any comments, suggestions or experiences.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on your career goals and what you want to do. If you want to work in a field that requires a lot of math and science, then the computational science degree may be the better choice. However, if you want to work in a more traditional engineering field, then the engineering degree from Temple may be the better choice. The pros and cons you have listed make sense, but it is also important to consider the job opportunities that may be available to you after graduation. If you go with the computational science degree, you may have a harder time finding a job since the program is so new. On the other hand, engineering degrees are usually more widely recognized and accepted by employers, so you may have more job prospects in that field. It is also important to consider the cost of the degree and whether or not it is worth the extra money for the name recognition that Temple will provide. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which degree will best suit your career goals and budget.

Related to Engineering Vs. Computational Science

1. What is the difference between engineering and computational science?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. Computational science, on the other hand, involves the use of computer algorithms and simulations to solve complex problems in various scientific fields.

2. Which field offers more job opportunities, engineering or computational science?

Both engineering and computational science have a high demand for skilled professionals and offer a wide range of job opportunities. The choice ultimately depends on your interests and strengths.

3. Can engineering and computational science be combined?

Yes, engineering and computational science can be combined to create innovative solutions and advancements in various industries. For example, computational engineering involves using computational tools and methods to solve engineering problems.

4. What skills are required for a career in engineering or computational science?

In general, both fields require strong problem-solving skills, mathematical proficiency, and the ability to think critically. For engineering, knowledge of physics, mechanics, and materials is also essential, while computational science requires programming skills and knowledge of computer science.

5. Which field is more research-oriented, engineering or computational science?

Both engineering and computational science involve research in their respective fields. However, computational science may have a stronger emphasis on research as it involves developing and testing new algorithms and simulations to solve complex problems.