Engineering REU as a Physics Major

In summary, the person is wondering if it would be feasible to apply for engineering REUs as a first year physics major. They mention also applying for physics REUs, but express interest in engineering and the possibility of pursuing it after graduation. They ask for advice on whether this is possible with a physics degree.
Sillyrab
Would it be realistic to consider applying to engineering REUs if I am a first year physics major? Not to say that I dislike the idea of doing physics research (I am also applying to Physics REUs) but I do find engineering interesting and could potentially see myself pursuing it post-graduation. If that's even possible with a physics degree. Thanks.

Danny

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a question more appropriate for the administrators of the program. Some schools are more open to cross disciplinary work than others. The reputation of physics majors in the engineering departments and the supply and demand for the engineering REUs may also be important.

Related to Engineering REU as a Physics Major

1. What is an Engineering REU program?

An Engineering REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research program designed for undergraduate students majoring in physics or engineering. It provides students with the opportunity to gain hands-on research experience in various engineering fields.

2. How does an Engineering REU program benefit a physics major?

An Engineering REU program can benefit a physics major in several ways. It allows students to gain practical experience in applying physics principles to real-world engineering problems. It also helps students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills, which are highly valued in both academia and industry.

3. What are the eligibility requirements for an Engineering REU program?

The eligibility requirements for an Engineering REU program may vary depending on the specific program. However, most programs require applicants to be undergraduate students majoring in physics or a related field, have a strong academic record, and have completed at least two years of coursework.

4. How do I find an Engineering REU program for physics majors?

There are several ways to find an Engineering REU program for physics majors. One way is to search online for REU programs offered by universities or research institutions. Another way is to reach out to your physics department or professors for recommendations or check with your university's career center for any available opportunities.

5. What can I expect from an Engineering REU program as a physics major?

As a physics major, you can expect to work on a research project in a specific engineering field, collaborate with faculty and other students, attend seminars and workshops, and present your research findings at the end of the program. You will also have the opportunity to network with professionals in the field and gain valuable skills and experience that will benefit you in your future academic and career pursuits.