Engineeing Dynamics - Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggles with a project assigned by a professor in a junior level dynamics class. The project involves using Mathematica to develop the mass center expression, inertia matrix, and inertia dyadic for a half cylinder and a thin half shell. The student is unsure of how to derive all the necessary terms and is also struggling with understanding the theory behind the calculations. The conversation also includes a discussion of the volume, mass, and center of mass calculations for the half cylinder.
Green Lantern
I'm getting desperate. The professor has assigned a project and has not clearly explained how to derive the answers. I'm doing the best I can but his TA's and recommended tutors for the class are always incapable of reproducing the answers either. It's a junior level dynamics class, but he's actually turned the class into a machine dynamics class taught in senior or masters level. The work needs to be done in mathematica, but all I need is help with theory since that's the part we don't learn in lecture.

Anyways, here is the question...

Homework Statement

Develop the mass center expression and the inertia matrix and inertia dyadic for a half cylinder, then let the inner diameter approach the outer diameter to develop the same for a thin half shell. Use Mathematica for your work.

Homework Equations

Ii,i = ∫m(rj2+rk2)dm

The Attempt at a Solution

First is the Inertia-matrix of the half cylinder. I'm not sure how to derive all the terms, but I did my best.

{y2 + z2, -x y, -x z}
{-x y, x2 + z2, -y z}
{-x z, -y z, x2 + y2}

Then I write my position vector:

BrP = x b[1] + y b[2] + z b[3]

Where B is a point in the body frame, P is the endpoint under evaluation, and r is the vector r. b[1,2,3] are unit vectors in the body frame.

Now is where I think I went wrong, if not before. The Volume is:

V = ∫0W0H-L/2L/2rdxdydz

Then mass is:

m = ∫∫∫ρrdxdydz

So center of mass is:

C = (1/m)∫∫∫ρr(x,y,z)rdxdydz

Then I get lost even more...

S.O.S

Physics news on Phys.org
If x,y,z are cartesian coordinates, dV = dxdydz, not r dxdydz

Related to Engineeing Dynamics - Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder

1. What is the Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder in Engineering Dynamics?

The Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder is a term used in Engineering Dynamics to describe the rotational motion of a half cylinder around its central axis. It is defined as the product of the mass and the square of the radius of the half cylinder.

2. How does the Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder affect the motion of a system?

The Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder plays a crucial role in determining the rotational motion of a system. It dictates the system's resistance to changes in its rotational motion and affects the system's stability and response to external forces.

3. How do you calculate the Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder?

The Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder can be calculated using the formula I = 0.5 * m * r^2, where I is the Inertia Dyad, m is the mass of the half cylinder, and r is the radius of the half cylinder.

4. What are the units of the Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder?

The Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder has units of mass times length squared (kg*m^2) in the SI system of units.

5. How can the Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder be used in real-world engineering applications?

The Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder is a fundamental concept in engineering dynamics and is used in various real-world applications. It is essential in designing and analyzing rotating machinery, such as engines, turbines, and motors. It is also used in designing vehicles and determining their stability and maneuverability. In addition, the Inertia Dyad of Half Cylinder is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in space, such as satellites and rockets.