Moment of Inertia spreadsheet calculator

In summary, the person is creating a center of gravity calculator for a car using excel. They have columns for mass and location of components, and they calculate moments of inertia using equations they created. They are unsure if their equations are correct and are seeking help.
hamerish

Homework Statement

This isn't homework but its part of my assignment. I am creating a center of gravity calculator for a car using excel which I can enter the locations of different components and their masses, and it will give me the center of gravity for the car. I am then using this to give me moments of inertia for different vectors of the car. The spreadsheet I made has columns for mass, (component cog location, x, y and z from the nearside corner of the car. I then calculate the inertia about Ixx, Iyy and Izz. I have created some equations for doing this but I am unsure if they are correct.

Homework Equations

Cog

Σmi*di/Σmi

mi are the individual masses and di is the distance from datum point

for moment of inertia

I = m*r^2

when m is mass and r is distance from reference

so because the is a right angle

I = M*SQroot(x^2+y2)^2

boot the SQroot and ^2 cancel each other out so
I = M * (x^2 + y^2)

And for clarification the x coordinate is the length, y is the width and z is the height all from the front nearside bumper.

The Attempt at a Solution

CoG

For the x coordinate

(Xdistance/(total sum of masses)* individual mass) = Mx

I then added each individual component answer(Mx) to get the x coordinate of the car cog.

Inertia

For Ixx for the individual component inertia contribution

(Component Mass*(((Car Height^2+Car Width^2)/ Car Length)+(Y-Mz)^2+(Z-Mz)^2))

the I total all the individual inertia's to get the cars moment of inertia

I did these spreadsheets about 2 weeks ago and I am lost to how I came about the equations and am unsure if they are correct so any help would be appreciated.

A screen shot of the spreadsheet is below to give you an idea of what I an trying to accomplish.

Attachments

• cogm.png
    cogm.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 991
Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone needs me to explain it clearer then I will, or have I gone about it completely wrong

Related to Moment of Inertia spreadsheet calculator

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand how different objects will behave when subjected to rotational motion. It is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing structures and predicting the behavior of rotating objects.

3. How does the moment of inertia spreadsheet calculator work?

The moment of inertia spreadsheet calculator uses the standard formula for moment of inertia and allows you to input the necessary variables, such as mass and distance from the axis of rotation. The calculator then uses these values to calculate the moment of inertia and displays the result.

4. What units is moment of inertia measured in?

Moment of inertia is typically measured in units of kilogram meters squared (kg*m^2). However, it can also be measured in units of gram centimeters squared (g*cm^2) or other equivalent units depending on the specific application.

5. Can the moment of inertia spreadsheet calculator be used for any object?

Yes, the moment of inertia spreadsheet calculator can be used for any object as long as the necessary variables, such as mass and distance, can be accurately measured or estimated. It is important to note that the calculator may not be suitable for extremely complex or irregularly shaped objects.