Moment of Inertia Tensor Cylinder.

In summary: I guess?So if you first compute Izz in Cartesian coordinates and then in polar coordinates, you can use this to check your results.
binbagsss
I am computing the [itex]\hat{I}[/itex] - moment of inertia tensor - of a cylinder with height 2h and radius R, about its axis of symmetry at the point of its centre of mass.

I am working in cartesian coordinaes and am not sure where I am going wrong. (I can see the cylindirical coordiates would be the best option here and have computed it correctly in these coordinates, but would like to know where I am going wrong please...)

I have defined the z axis to be in line with the symmetry axis of the cylinder . I am then working in the principal axes s.t non-diagonal elements are 0.

So by symmetry , I can see that Ixx = Iyy.

Computing Izz:

Moment of Inertia tensor formula: [itex]_{vol}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] dv[itex]\rho[/itex] (r[itex]^{2}[/itex]δ[itex]_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]-r[itex]_{k,\alpha}[/itex]r[itex]_{k,\beta}[/itex])

[itex]\rho[/itex]=M/∏[itex]^{2}[/itex]2h.
x ranges from R to -R, as does y.
z ranges from h to -h.

So Izz= [itex]_{vol}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] ( x^2 and y^2) [itex]\rho[/itex] dV
where dV = dx dy dx

This yields: 8R^3M/3∏

So a PI is present, so I can clearly see I have gone wrong. I think this might be due to my ranges .

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appeacted :).

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
I am computing the [itex]\hat{I}[/itex] - moment of inertia tensor - of a cylinder with height 2h and radius R, about its axis of symmetry at the point of its centre of mass.

I am working in cartesian coordinaes and am not sure where I am going wrong. (I can see the cylindirical coordiates would be the best option here and have computed it correctly in these coordinates, but would like to know where I am going wrong please...)

I have defined the z axis to be in line with the symmetry axis of the cylinder . I am then working in the principal axes s.t non-diagonal elements are 0.

So by symmetry , I can see that Ixx = Iyy.

Computing Izz:

Moment of Inertia tensor formula: [itex]_{vol}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] dv[itex]\rho[/itex] (r[itex]^{2}[/itex]δ[itex]_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]-r[itex]_{k,\alpha}[/itex]r[itex]_{k,\beta}[/itex])

z ranges from h to -h.

So Izz= [itex]_{vol}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] ( x^2 and y^2) [itex]\rho[/itex] dV
where dV = dx dy dx

This yields: 8R^3M/3∏

So a PI is present, so I can clearly see I have gone wrong. I think this might be due to my ranges .

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appeacted :).

I think you are getting tripped up on the notation you are using.

Izz = [itex]\int_{vol}ρ(x^{2} + y^{2}) dV[/itex]

Assuming the lengthwise axis of the cylinder is parallel to the z-axis, then re-writing the integral above:

Izz = [itex]\int[\int_{dA}ρ(x^{2} + y^{2})dA] dz[/itex]

If the density ρ is constant, then the area integral above is constant w.r.t. z. The area integral also represents the polar moment of inertia of the circular cross-section of the cylinder.

Hello bingagsss

binbagsss said:

Surely you mistyped this.

If you let x range from -R to R, then for a given x the range of y will not be -R to R.

z ranges from h to -h
Wouldn't that make the height of the cylinder 2h? (Maybe you're letting h be half the height of the cylinder?)

Last edited:
Sorry I meant p =M/[itex]\pi[/itex]R[itex]^{2}[/itex]2h.

Post 1 - it is a cylinder of height 2h

Thanks I think I see - taking a circle cross-section of the cylinder to lie in the xy plane, it has equation: x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=a[itex]^{2}[/itex].

If I then let x range from R to -R, y must be a function of x , i.e (a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])^1/2.
You then need to split the integral into two pieces , one where y ranges from +(a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])^1/2. and the other -(a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])^1/2(both cases x ranging from R to -R).

So for one of these (+(a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])^1/2.) this yields:

[itex]^{h}_{-h}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{r}_{-r}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{(a^{2}-x^{2})}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex] dydxdz
= [itex]^{h}_{-h}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{r}_{-r}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex](a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex] + (a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{3/2}[/itex]/3 dx dz Is this correct? (I'm guessing a trig substition would then be needed to solve this?)

Goodness, you have made your problem more complicated.

Starting with:

Izz = [itex]\int[\int_{A}ρ(x^{2} + y^{2})dA] dz[/itex]

Then, if we want to evaluate the inner area integral to determine the polar moment of inertia of the
circular cross section, a change to polar coordinates would make things easier:

x = r cos [itex]\theta[/itex]
y = r sin [itex]\theta[/itex]

Using these substitutions, evaluating the following integral

[itex]\int_{A}(x^{2} + y^{2}) dA[/itex]

is much easier.

binbagsss said:
Sorry I meant p =M/[itex]\pi[/itex]R[itex]^{2}[/itex]2h.

Post 1 - it is a cylinder of height 2h

OK. (Sorry I missed that.)

Thanks I think I see - taking a circle cross-section of the cylinder to lie in the xy plane, it has equation: x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=a[itex]^{2}[/itex].

If I then let x range from R to -R, y must be a function of x , i.e (a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])^1/2.
You then need to split the integral into two pieces , one where y ranges from +(a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])^1/2. and the other -(a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])^1/2(both cases x ranging from R to -R).

You don't need to split it up into two separate integrations over y, but it's ok if you do. By symmetry, each of the separate integrations will be equal.

So for one of these (+(a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])^1/2.) this yields:

[itex]^{h}_{-h}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{r}_{-r}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{(a^{2}-x^{2})}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex] dydxdz
= [itex]^{h}_{-h}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{r}_{-r}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex](a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex] + (a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{3/2}[/itex]/3 dx dz

Is this correct? (I'm guessing a trig substition would then be needed to solve this?)

It looks correct to me. Note, your trig substitution is probably going to be equivalent to going over to polar coordinates at this point.

SteamKing said:
Goodness, you have made your problem more complicated.

Starting with:

Izz = [itex]\int[\int_{A}ρ(x^{2} + y^{2})dA] dz[/itex]

Then, if we want to evaluate the inner area integral to determine the polar moment of inertia of the
circular cross section, a change to polar coordinates would make things easier:

Right. In the first post binbagsss stated that he had already worked it out in polar coordinates but that he wanted to also do it in Cartesian coordinates as an exercise.

Related to Moment of Inertia Tensor Cylinder.

1. What is the Moment of Inertia Tensor for a cylinder?

The Moment of Inertia Tensor for a cylinder is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass around the rotational axis of the cylinder. It is a 3x3 matrix that contains information about the mass, shape, and orientation of the cylinder, and is used to calculate its resistance to rotational motion.

2. How is the Moment of Inertia Tensor calculated for a cylinder?

The Moment of Inertia Tensor for a cylinder can be calculated by using the following formula: I = ½MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the cylinder, and R is the radius of the cylinder. This formula assumes that the cylinder is a solid, uniform object with a circular cross-section.

3. What factors affect the Moment of Inertia Tensor for a cylinder?

The two main factors that affect the Moment of Inertia Tensor for a cylinder are the mass and the distribution of mass around its rotational axis. The larger the mass and the further the mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the moment of inertia will be.

4. How does the shape of the cylinder affect its Moment of Inertia Tensor?

The shape of the cylinder can affect its Moment of Inertia Tensor in two ways. First, the radius of the cylinder will directly impact the moment of inertia, as seen in the formula I = ½MR². Additionally, the shape of the cross-section of the cylinder (e.g. solid vs. hollow) can also affect the distribution of mass and therefore the moment of inertia.

5. Why is the Moment of Inertia Tensor important in physics and engineering?

The Moment of Inertia Tensor is important in physics and engineering because it helps us understand and predict how a cylinder will behave when it rotates. It is used in various applications such as designing rotating machinery, analyzing the stability of structures, and understanding the motion of objects in space. It is also a key component in the equations of motion for rotational dynamics.