Effective Methods for Learning Precalculus: Insights from Science

• Thread starter Blackwinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, the conversation discussed different resources and methods for learning precalculus, including Khan Academy, online options, adult education, and college. Some specific resources mentioned were For Dummies books, Paul's Online Math Notes, Calculus Made Easy, and Pure Mathematics 1. The importance of setting short-term goals and seeking guidance from academic advisers was also emphasized. Some alternative resources suggested were Profrobbob, ProfessorLeonard57, and Mike Rosenthal on YouTube and iTunesU. The benefits of using Khan Academy as a supplement or for exercises were also mentioned.
Blackwinter
Hi, I am looking to learn precalculus. I was wondering what Physics forum thought was the best way to do this. So how do you learn algebra, trig, up to calculus in a effective fashion? Do you recommend any specific resources or methods?

Physics news on Phys.org
Blackwinter said:
Hi, I am looking to learn precalculus. I was wondering what Physics forum thought was the best way to do this. So how do you learn algebra, trig, up to calculus in a effective fashion? Do you recommend any specific resources or methods?

What post-secondary educational options are available to you where you live? Are you currently working? What are your plans after learning precalculus?

Khan Academy is an option. I can't vouch for the quality, except someone I know who tutors stuff up to precalc has had some success with it. It helps that it's free.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

I personally mostly used a For Dummies book, with some Khan Academy and Educator videos mixed in. I think PF gives or gave a free year of Eductator access.

Blackwinter said:

I was taught calculus in school. but after a change in academic direction I had to go back to the beginning and re-teach myself.

I used a mixture of resources such as Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, Calculus Made Easy (Martin Gardner, book), and Pure Mathematics 1 (bostock and chandler, book).

Each of these resources start at different levels and assume different levels of comprehension. The books will give you a stronger foundation in my opinion, whilst the online resources start off simpler so may be an appropriate starting point.

Dembadon, I am 20, not working! I have online options where I can get high school credits, also adult education which is schooling for adults and for math, English and science, which is for free locally. I can also attend college where I believe they do the same thing.

I wish to do potentially computer science! Homeomorphic, I am working on Khan right now!

Jozape, Thanks for the suggestion on the dummies book.

BOAS, thanks for the suggestions, will look into them. Thanks for all the help guys!

Blackwinter said:
Dembadon, I am 20, not working! I have online options where I can get high school credits, also adult education which is schooling for adults and for math, English and science, which is for free locally. I can also attend college where I believe they do the same thing.

I wish to do potentially computer science!

Gotcha. Then, in my opinion, the best route would be taking advantage of the adult schooling options you mentioned. Meet with an academic adviser at one of the local schools, and they'll help you develop a plan. You'll probably be given a placement test that will determine your competency levels in the courses you need to take. Make sure the universities you'd like to eventually attend accept the credits from wherever you decide to go. There are often transfer agreement documents that outline which courses will count towards a 4-year degree at a local university. If you want to study computer science, you will need to transfer to a university that offers such a program. You might be able to learn a lot of the material on your own, but I find the college environment far more efficient for learning difficult things than doing it alone. <insert shameless plug for PF here>

Try to set realistic, short-term goals; it'll keep you focused. And good luck!

Likes 1 person
Dembadon, that was one of the best post I have seen in my entire life. You just made life make sense for me. I will try my best to carry out this set of actions you have listed. I can't thank you enough, I didn't know there were competency test or academic advisers, your thoughts on short term goals make so much sense! Pretty much resolved multiple issues and unknowns in one post. You also made college quite compelling.

Seriously, thank you! I don't know how to thank you enough!

If you want to learn stuff, then I would advise against Khan academy. Khan is not really that good. If I were you, I would use profrobbob on youtube, or if you have ItunesU Mike Rosenthal is good. Those will give you a better understanding than Khan.

ItunesU is free in the standard itunes that you install on the computer.
ItunesU needs to be downloaded from the app store in order to use it with an Ipad or something like that.

dumplump said:
If you want to learn stuff, then I would advise against Khan academy. Khan is not really that good. If I were you, I would use profrobbob on youtube, or if you have ItunesU Mike Rosenthal is good. Those will give you a better understanding than Khan.

ItunesU is free in the standard itunes that you install on the computer.
ItunesU needs to be downloaded from the app store in order to use it with an Ipad or something like that.
Think of Khan Academy as tutoring. Study from a good instructional textbook, but for supplemental or additional help, Khan Academy is beneficial.

symbolipoint said:
Think of Khan Academy as tutoring. Study from a good instructional textbook, but for supplemental or additional help, Khan Academy is beneficial.
Khan academy is just not that helpful. Maybe I just do not like the whole powerpoint video concept. I prefer to see an actual instructor. That is why I recommend Profrobbob, professorleonard57, and Mike Rosenthal. From them, I learned the most.

Most of the point of Khan Academia is actually the exercises, not the videos. The tutor I mentioned actually didn't make any use of the videos what so ever.

Some of his videos are good, some of them not so good, but in any case, that's not really the point of Khan Academy.

I also tutor using Khan academy, making no use of the videos.

Sure; one of the problems with any recorded video tutorial presentation is that it is not interactive. An instructor in a real classroom (the kind you attend for real) is live, in the vicinity, and interactive. You should understand that Khan Academy uses Screendraw, and a screen-cast recording program; not powerpoint (unless he now includes some of them).

symbolipoint said:
Sure; one of the problems with any recorded video tutorial presentation is that it is not interactive. An instructor in a real classroom (the kind you attend for real) is live, in the vicinity, and interactive. You should understand that Khan Academy uses Screendraw, and a screen-cast recording program; not powerpoint (unless he now includes some of them).
Even though they use screen draw, it is essentially the same as someone recording a powerpoint using some input software to write, and throwing it up on youtube. That concept is the same. That is why I suggested the other channels. They have instructors that you can see(this is my point). Profrobbob's goes over some topic review, then he does examples. ProfessorLeonard57 is actually more of a classroom recording, but the videos are usually about 15 minutes a piece explaining a topic then doing some examples.
To some seeing the instructor might be a mute point, but I noticed that most I have talked to in the tutor room do not really like Khan academy. When I show them the other channels, they seem to pay more attention, and get more from them.
I usually ask them why they do not like Khan, and usually it is something along the lines of they just do not like the presentation. I do not deny that Khan might be useful to some, but I just never found it useful.

Last edited:

Related to Effective Methods for Learning Precalculus: Insights from Science

What is precalculus and why is it important to learn?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of functions, graphs, and algebraic manipulation. It is important to learn because it serves as a foundation for calculus and other advanced math courses. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are the prerequisites for learning precalculus?

The prerequisites for learning precalculus typically include a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Familiarity with basic concepts such as functions, equations, and graphing is also helpful.

What is the best way to approach learning precalculus?

The best way to learn precalculus is to start with a solid understanding of the fundamentals and then practice regularly. This can involve attending lectures, completing practice problems, and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed. It is also helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, manageable parts and to use real-world examples to better understand the material.

What resources are available for learning precalculus?

There are many resources available for learning precalculus, such as textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems. Many schools also offer tutoring or study groups for students who need extra help. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and to use a variety of sources for a well-rounded understanding of the material.

How can I improve my understanding of precalculus?

To improve your understanding of precalculus, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can involve taking detailed notes, asking questions, and seeking out additional practice problems. It is also helpful to review and reinforce concepts regularly to keep them fresh in your mind. Don't be afraid to seek help when needed and remember to stay patient and persistent in your learning.