Is being good at precalculus an indicator

• Thread starter dirtysocks45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, being good at precalculus can be an indicator that you will excel in calculus and other higher math subjects. However, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn new things are more important factors. Pure mathematics, which focuses on proving statements and requires creativity, may be a good fit for someone who excels in precalculus. It is suggested to explore pure math through resources such as books and tutors to see if it is a good fit, regardless of whether calculus has been taken or not. Having a strong foundation in precalculus can also be beneficial in succeeding in calculus.
dirtysocks45
Is being good at precalculus an indicator that you will be good at calculus and later maths? Right now precalculus comes so naturally to me and I hardly struggle. And when I do struggle, I like learning how to figure where I'm going wrong unlike when I'm struggling at physics or computer science. Is this a good sign? I may want to do either applied or pure math in college. Also I got a 720 on the math section of the SAT on the first try.

Physics news on Phys.org
Enthusiasm for learning new things is the only reliable indicator that you will be good at learning new things. :) You sound quite enthusiastic at the moment. Your ability with the concepts of precalculus will aid you well in your ability to learn calculus easily, but is not the dominant factor.
I don't know your current circumstances, but it may be the case that you will find a different approach to the topics you are struggling in more palatable. Try going to your local library (or using the internet) and searching for basic books on those topics or asking your teacher about them. Tutors may help as well.

Last edited:
Pure mathematics is very unlike what is done is precalculus. Pure mathematics focuses on proving statements. Creativity is an important aspect there. Precalculus is usually just applying a formula and getting the arithmetic right.

You should work through a pure math book to see if you like it. Yes, you are able to work through a pure math book just fine without having done calculus. For example, get this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486474178/?tag=pfamazon01-20 It is very cheap and shows what mathematics is actually about. And it is suitable for high school students (and that does not mean that it is dumbed down).

Last edited by a moderator:
Focusing on just calculus and not higher math:

Being good at pre-calc says that you have the tools to do well in calculus.

In my experience, people do poorly in calculus because they don't have good command of the needed tools (i.e., they struggle with algebra and/or trig).

So I'd say yes, being good at pre-calc is a good indicator that you'll be good in calculus. Of course, you still have to work hard!

Being good at precalculus can certainly be an indicator that you will be good at calculus and later math subjects. Precalculus is a foundational course that covers a wide range of topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and functions, which are essential for success in calculus and other higher level math courses. If you find precalculus to come naturally to you and you enjoy learning from your struggles, it is a good sign that you have a strong understanding of the concepts and will likely excel in future math courses.

Your performance on the math section of the SAT is also a positive indicator of your math abilities. Scoring a 720 on your first try is an impressive achievement and shows that you have a solid grasp on the fundamental math concepts tested on the SAT. This score suggests that you have the potential to excel in both applied and pure math in college.

However, it is also important to keep in mind that success in math is not solely based on natural ability. Hard work, determination, and a strong work ethic are also crucial factors in achieving success in any subject. As you continue your academic journey, it is important to continue challenging yourself and seeking help when needed to further develop your math skills.

Overall, being good at precalculus and scoring well on the math section of the SAT are positive indicators of your potential for success in calculus and other math courses. Keep up the good work and continue to challenge yourself in your academic pursuits.

Related to Is being good at precalculus an indicator

1. Is being good at precalculus an indicator of high intelligence?

While being skilled in precalculus may suggest a certain level of intelligence, it is not the sole determining factor. Intelligence encompasses a wide range of abilities and skills, and being good at precalculus is just one aspect.

2. Does being good at precalculus mean I will excel in other math courses?

Being good at precalculus can certainly be a strong foundation for success in other math courses. However, each math course builds upon different concepts and skills, so it is not a guarantee. It is important to continue to practice and stay dedicated to learning in order to succeed in all math courses.

3. Can being good at precalculus predict success in non-mathematical fields?

While being good at precalculus may suggest strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, it is not a direct indicator of success in other fields. Success in any field requires a combination of different skills and abilities, not just mathematical aptitude.

4. Is being good at precalculus a genetic trait?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that being good at precalculus is solely determined by genetics. While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards math, it is also a skill that can be developed through practice and dedication.

5. Can being good at precalculus be learned or is it innate?

While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards math, being good at precalculus is primarily achieved through practice and dedication. As with any skill, some people may have an easier time grasping mathematical concepts, but it is ultimately a skill that can be learned and improved upon.