Distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics

• Thread starter Darktobz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who completed a BSc degree in maths and physics 20 years ago, but has since studied and worked in unrelated areas. They have maintained a modest interest in maths and physics and have recently taken a course from the Open University (UK) in maths, which they thoroughly enjoyed. However, they are now looking for something more challenging and substantial, preferably in a physics-based nature, but have not been able to find anything suitable. They are open to paying reasonable fees for a course that would provide personal enjoyment, but do not necessarily need a qualification. The conversation also includes mentions of studying physics, math, and chemistry at the OU in Israel, and the challenges of studying alone without the support of study
Darktobz
Hi All

I completed a BSc degree in maths & physics just over 20 years ago. Since then I have studied and worked in unrelated areas but also kept a modest interest in maths and physics up and also done a couple of free online courses with the MOOCs (EdX and Coursera). Last year I decided I wanted to have a go at something more challenging and substantial so I took a course from the Open University (UK) MSc in maths (calculus of variations). I have thoroughly enjoyed it and learned much more from being "pushed" through the material than I would have done off my own back.

The difficulty is that there aren't really any more courses in the limited selection the OU offer that excite me. There are a couple I could probably do but first I wanted to try and see if there is anything else out there of a more physics based nature. In an ideal world I would enrol on a distance learning theoretical physics MSc but I don't think one exists and my searches haven't found anything close. With a demanding fulltime job I can't really manage the demands of attending even a part-time campus based course. I don't need a qualification, this is for personal enjoyment. I don't mind paying reasonable fees for something worthwhile.

Does anyone know of anything that might be suitable? Grateful thanks in advance!

Thanks Greg. I think the lack of response gives me the answer I expected!

I'm studying physics, math and some chemistry at the OU in Israel. I don't know about the UK - here they have the basic selection of courses most people take in undergrad (QM, E&M, statistical, solid state, waves, nuclear, etc). I find it much harder than studying at a regular university (especially the fact that you're on your own, with no study buddies). If I was studying just for personal enjoyment I would just pick up some good textbooks and scrounge the internet for some online lectures. (The Perimeter Institute has several video lecture series on advanced theoretical physics). If you wanted to become serious about it, I think you would need the face-to-face discussions and idea exchange that you get in a regular university.

Likes Darktobz

Related to Distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics

1. What is distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics?

Distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics is a way of studying physics concepts and theories through online platforms and resources, without physically attending a traditional classroom setting. This allows students to learn at their own pace and from the comfort of their own homes.

2. How is distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics different from traditional classroom learning?

Distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics differs from traditional classroom learning in that it does not require physical attendance in a classroom. Instead, students access course materials and lectures online. This allows for more flexibility in terms of scheduling and location.

3. What subjects are covered in distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics courses?

Distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics courses cover a wide range of subjects, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. These courses also delve into mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

4. What are the benefits of studying theoretical/mathematical physics through distance learning?

Distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics offers several benefits, including flexibility in scheduling, access to a variety of online resources, and the ability to learn at one's own pace. It also allows students to save time and money on commuting to a physical classroom.

5. Is distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics as effective as traditional classroom learning?

Studies have shown that distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics can be just as effective as traditional classroom learning. However, it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and dedication to the course material. It is important for students to actively engage with the course material and seek help when needed to ensure success in their studies.