Dipole moment of sphere with uniform volume charge Q

In summary, the conversation is about determining the dipole moment of a sphere with uniform volume charge and its relation to the integral of the charge density function. The conclusion is that the dipole moment is zero due to the even symmetry of the charge density function and the odd symmetry of the components of r.
Saraphim

Homework Statement

Determine the dipole moment, [tex]\mathbf{p}[/tex], of a sphere of radius R with a uniform volume charge, total Q, with respect to its center.

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathbf{p}=\int \mathbf{r} \rho(\mathbf{r}) d\tau[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [tex]\mathbf{p}=\mathbf{0}[/tex], but I have a hard time finding a rigorous argument to prove it. Looking at the definition of [tex]\mathbf{p}[/tex] given above, all I can see is that [tex]\rho(\mathbf{r})[/tex] is in fact constant for r<R, but this doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Other than "it's not a dipole", I'm stuck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's zero because rho is even about the origin ( i.e. rho(-r) = rho(r)), while the components of r are odd (i.e.z(-r) = -z(r)), so when you carry out the integral there are equal parts + and -, so it all cancels. If you don't believe it, try carrying out the integral for one of the components, say z. Can you write the integral for Pz in a form that you can evaluate it?

I think so, but I'm not sure how to argue from one dimension to three dimensions. I do get the explanation intuitively, though.

I think the integral you are suggesting is as simple as:

[tex]p_z=\int_{-R}^{R} z\rho dz=\rho(\frac{1}{2}R^2-\frac{1}{2} R^2)=0[/tex]

Is this correct?

No, not really. You still have to integrate over the whole volume of the sphere, so it's really:
[tex]p_z = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^Rz r^2 sin(\theta)dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]
Since z = r cos(theta), this can be written:
[tex]p_z = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^R r^3 cos(\theta)sin(\theta)dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]
Can you evaluate this?

Aha, yes of course! I was having a problem just replacing r for z in the triple integral, so I thought you meant the other way, even though I couldn't find my way from there. I now see that by superposition, I just evaluate the integral for each of r's components, then sum them.

So the idea is that evaluating one of those triple integrals and getting zero really shows that it will be zero for the other components as well, by symmetry. Thank you!

Yes, or you could explicitly evaluate the other components as well (x = r sin(theta)cos(phi), y = r sin(theta)sin(phi)), and show that they are zero.

Thanks, I feel silly for even asking the question now, it just seems obvious. ^_^

Glad to help. As they say, "The only stupid question is the one that is not asked."

Related to Dipole moment of sphere with uniform volume charge Q

1. What is a dipole moment?

The dipole moment of a system is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within the system. It is a vector quantity that points from the negative to the positive charge and is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge by the distance between the charges.

2. How is the dipole moment of a sphere with uniform volume charge Q calculated?

The dipole moment of a sphere with uniform volume charge Q is calculated by first determining the total charge of the sphere (Q) and the distance between the center of the sphere and the point where the dipole moment is being measured (r). Then, the dipole moment can be calculated using the formula p = Qr.

3. What factors affect the dipole moment of a sphere with uniform volume charge Q?

The dipole moment of a sphere with uniform volume charge Q is affected by the magnitude of the charge (Q) and the distance between the charges (r). As the charge or the distance changes, the dipole moment will also change accordingly.

4. How does the dipole moment of a sphere with uniform volume charge Q affect its behavior in an electric field?

The dipole moment of a sphere with uniform volume charge Q affects its behavior in an electric field by determining the strength and direction of the electric dipole moment. The electric dipole moment is proportional to the strength of the electric field, so a larger dipole moment will result in a stronger response to an external electric field.

5. What is the significance of the dipole moment in physics and chemistry?

The dipole moment is a fundamental concept in physics and chemistry, as it helps explain the behavior of molecules in electric fields and the nature of chemical bonding. The dipole moment is also used in various applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and in the study of polar molecules.