Dipole moment of given charge distribution

In summary, you had a charge distribution given by:\begin{equation}\rho(r,\phi,z)=\frac{q}{2\pi R}\delta(r-R)\delta(z)\cos(2\phi)\end{equation}This, if I'm not mistaken, translates into a circular charge distribution located in the z-plane, a distance R from origo.Thus, your first task was to compute the total charge of the ring. This is done by integrating:\begin{equation}\mathbf{p}=\int\mathbf{r^{\prime}}\
ks_wann
So, I've got a charge distribution given by:
\begin{equation}
\rho(r,\phi,z)=\frac{q}{2\pi R}\delta(r-R)\delta(z)\cos(2\phi)
\end{equation}

This, if I'm not mistaken, translates into a circular charge distribution located in the z-plane, a distance R from origo.

Thus

\begin{equation}
\rho(R,\phi,0)=\frac{q}{2\pi R}\cos(2\phi)
\end{equation}

I compute the total charge of the ring, which by my calculations is 0. Now I want to use

\begin{equation}
\mathbf{p}=\int\mathbf{r^{\prime}}\rho(\mathbf{r^{\prime}})dl^{\prime}
\end{equation}

to find the dipole moment, where

\begin{equation}
dl^{\prime}=Rd\phi.
\end{equation}

Inserting in the equation, I get:
\begin{equation}
\mathbf{p}=\int R\mathbf{\hat{r}}\frac{q}{2\pi R}\cos(2\phi)Rd\phi \\ = \frac{Rq}{2\pi}\mathbf{\hat{r}}\int_{0}^{2\pi} \cos(2\phi)d\phi = 0
\end{equation}

I'm not sure if the last steps makes sense..

I'd be grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
... a circular charge distribution located in the z=0 plane, a distance R from the origin.

Right.

What you did was fine as far as it went. But I would now split up your p integral into x, y and z components: px, py and pz.

So we would then get
p = px i + py j + pz k and

r' = R cosø i + R sinø j + 0 k
most of which you already have.

So take your integral for p, separate into x, y & z components, and finally obtain p from px, py and pz.

I haven't finished solving the problem but will if you are interested.

Last edited:
The answer is indeed zero by symmetry but you made a mistake in your calculation. the unit vector "r-hat" cannot be removed from the integral because its direction is a function of ø.

Likes 1 person
I did the integrations and confirm that px = py = pz = 0.

I did the integration in x, y and z components, and I also get 0.

Is it much harder to solve the problem in cylindrical coordinates, given that "r-hat" is a function of ø? I would include the "r-hat" into the integral in my final step, find the expression for "r-hat" of ø (if one such exists in cylindrical coordinates?) and integrate.

Also, is the dipole moment 0 due to no bound charges in the distribution?

ks_wann said:
I did the integration in x, y and z components, and I also get 0.

Is it much harder to solve the problem in cylindrical coordinates, given that "r-hat" is a function of ø? I would include the "r-hat" into the integral in my final step, find the expression for "r-hat" of ø (if one such exists in cylindrical coordinates?) and integrate.

Also, is the dipole moment 0 due to no bound charges in the distribution?

I haven't tried to integrate in cylindrical coordinates so don't know. I might look into it.

All I can tell you regarding net charge is that if there is no net charge the coordinate system can be chosen arbitrarily. Naturally in this case the origin should be the center of the circular charge distribution.

Likes 1 person
I guess I have a basic prblem with cylindrical coordinates. It's based on the fact that a vector gives displacement but not position. Example:
r = 2 i + 3 j
displacement = √(4+9) = √13.
position is (2,3).

But, in cylindrical coordinates using unit vectors, the same r is r = √13 r-hat + 0
The displacement is correct but the position can be anywhere on a circle of radius √13 .

I usually wind up with going x = r cosθ, y = r sinθ, z. In other words, back to cartesian.

Of course you could define this vector as √13 ∠ tan-1(3/2) but that is not using unit vectors.

I would welcome comments from anyone.

Related to Dipole moment of given charge distribution

1. What is the dipole moment of a given charge distribution?

The dipole moment of a given charge distribution is a measure of the separation and magnitude of the positive and negative charges within the distribution. It is a vector quantity that points from the negative to the positive charge, and its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitude of the charge and the distance between the charges.

2. How is the dipole moment calculated for a given charge distribution?

The dipole moment can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge by the distance between the charges and then multiplying that value by the direction of the vector from the negative to the positive charge.

3. What is the relationship between the dipole moment and the electric field for a given charge distribution?

The dipole moment is directly proportional to the electric field for a given charge distribution. This means that as the dipole moment increases, the electric field also increases.

4. How does the dipole moment affect the overall charge distribution of an object?

The dipole moment can affect the overall charge distribution of an object by creating an imbalance of positive and negative charges. This can lead to the object having an overall charge and experiencing a net electric field.

5. Can the dipole moment be used to determine the polarity of a molecule?

Yes, the dipole moment can be used to determine the polarity of a molecule. If the dipole moment is non-zero, the molecule is polar, meaning it has a separation of charges. If the dipole moment is zero, the molecule is nonpolar, meaning it has an equal distribution of charges.