Curious does anyone play the piano

In summary, there are a few members on the forum who play piano to varying degrees, with interests in classical, ragtime, and jazz styles. The forum does not have a music section because there are not enough physics-related questions about music, but some members would enjoy a music theory forum. When playing piano and singing, the top staff is for the voice and the lower two staves are for the piano. Elton John typically plays the lower two staves while singing, but there is a piano-only version available for those who do not want to sing or have another instrument playing the melody. Sheetmusicdirect.com offers a variety of piano sheet music for purchase, including easy piano, solo piano, and full pieces with all parts.
elabed haidar
hey I am just curious does anyone play the pina i really have a few questions ??thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry, piano is not my forte.

elabed haidar said:
hey I am just curious does anyone play the pina i really have a few questions ??thank you

Currently in my second year of training. I can decently play a few classical pieces. I love ragtime as well (especially maple leaf rag and black and white rag) but at the moment it's a bit too tough for me. :smile:

Jimmy Snyder said:
Sorry, piano is not my forte.

Clever.

BTW, that got me thinking; Why don't we have a music section in PF, considering that we have a subforum for every other subject on the planet (well almost).

mishrashubham said:
BTW, that got me thinking; Why don't we have a music section in PF, considering that we have a subforum for every other subject on the planet (well almost).

Because we don't get large numbers of questions related to the physics of music, nor any questions at all about music theory.

If we had a music theory forum, I think I'd be hanging out there all day long :p

chaoseverlasting said:
If we had a music theory forum, I think I'd be hanging out there all day long :p

Ahhhhhh, ditto.

To elabed haidar, there are plenty of pianists here, myself included. Ask your questions and maybe we can help you.

I play, got to grade 7 (of 8) before university got in the way.

I played for four years in middle school/junior high.

I'm terrible.

thank you all it means a lot so i dream of palying the elton john songs and i have in fron t of me but its like it needs three hands hopw do i play it ??

also james blunt and still same problem

Reminds me of this video:

It's not three hands, the bottom two lines are piano and the top is vocal. You don't play the top one.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh okay now i get it thanks jared james so what do i do with vocal its just written for what??

You don't do anything, unless you plan singing as well.

Vocal = voice part. Sometimes they put the words under it as well.

EDIT: You could also get another instrument to play it.

Last edited:

so if i want to sing and play should i play the three parts?? that's hard
but if i just want to play the piano i play the second and third line
what aout you james what do you like to play on the piano?

elabed haidar said:
so if i want to sing and play should i play the three parts?? that's hard

No, you sing only the top staff.

elabed haidar said:
but if i just want to play the piano i play the second and third line

Yes that's right.

wowwwwwwww so what about what would you like to play on the piano?

elabed haidar said:
wowwwwwwww so what about what would you like to play on the piano?

Well I would surely like to play almost everything, but unfortunately I can't. I am practicing different styles, such as classical, ragtime and jazz but it will take quite some time before I can manage to play something.

is the difference huge between these styles??
but are you sure about singing and playing so when elton john sings and plays he just plays the first line I am a bit confused can you please elaborate and thank you a lot mishrashubham

elabed haidar said:
but are you sure about singing and playing so when elton john sings and plays he just plays the first line I am a bit confused can you please elaborate and thank you a lot mishrashubham

Take this for an example. This is from my ragtime finger exercise book.

5736306891_40c5778561_z.jpg

While we're talking about piano theory, maybe you pianists can answer a question.

What style of piano would you call the upbeat sections of this song by Tim Minchin:

It's a 10 minute video, with a 3 or so minute piano solo in the middle. It's a comedy song, where he alternates slow and fast parts. I find the fast parts incredibly catchy, and I'd be interested in hearing more "serious" piano songs in a similar style.

elabed haidar said:

I assure you, Elton John isn't playing the first part (although you can't rule out artistic 'live' flourishes).

I have played a number of his pieces and he plays the lower two lines.

The top part is the melody - the bit sung.

It's no good you arguing this, it's standard music notation. Just accept it.

If you don't intend having someone singing or another instrument for the melody, you don't need the three staff version. Because you're only playing the lower lines, you may not here the melody.

All of those songs come in what is called a 'piano version'. Where there are only two staffs and the melody is within them.

so ill start practicing the two lower parts and hopefully i will get it

jck you right it is nice especially the fast part

elabed haidar said:
so ill start practicing the two lower parts and hopefully i will get it

I'd still recommend you get the piano only version.

how do you know where ( free ofcourse) lol

so i can't play on the piano the vocal version?? that sucks it took me a week to get those

Not free, they aren't free works. You could possibly get people's own versions.

I use www.sheetmusicdirect.com which has a whole variety from easy piano, solo piano and the full piece with all parts.

You have to pay and need to install Sibelius Scorch (free) to view and listen to the music pieces before buying.

elabed haidar said:
so i can't play on the piano the vocal version?? that sucks it took me a week to get those

They're the wrong parts. You've bought the ones made for piano plus vocals (or other instrument).

You want the solo piano version. This version will have the melody within the two lines for you.

Here is a search for an EJ song: http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/Search/gsearch.aspx?searchtext=elton john your song

As you can see, there are many different versions. The type you have is Piano, Vocal & Guitar but you need is Piano Solo.

thanks for your help but i think i just found it by luck the piano version its only two lines right thank you man very much but i think i will stick to mozart and his friends thanks

elabed haidar said:
...Mozart and his friends...

Give them some respect, please.

dont get me wrong i really love them don't think of it as an insult id never insult these gifted people

elabed haidar said:
dont get me wrong i really love them don't think of it as an insult id never insult these gifted people

That's fine then.