Computer Science Degree w/out Probability & Statistics Required

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting hired with a B.S. in Computer Science degree that does not include any calculus-based probability or statistics courses. The program curriculum includes courses such as Programming Fundamentals, Introduction to Data Structures, and Object Oriented Design and Implementation. The question is whether it is necessary to learn probability and statistics on one's own or if it will be required for certain job positions. The suggestion is to research current job requirements and determine if the proposed program would qualify.
Rosebud
Could I get hired with a B.S. in Computer Science degree that doesn't require any calculus based probability or statistics courses? It requires through Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra but no other mathematics courses besides Discrete Math. Here is the core of the program besides the math:Programming Fundamentals (Python)

Programming with Objects (Java)

Introduction to Data Structures

Computer Organization and Architecture

Database Management Systems

Algorithms and Data Structures

Organization of Programming Languages

Object Oriented Design and Implementation

Parallel and Distributed Algorithms

Networks and Security

Operating Systems

Software Engineering and Capstone Project

Can I get a job and work without knowing probability or statistics or will I be required to learn it on my own?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're that concerned about covering probability and statistics, why not take it as an elective?

To answer the question, I'm sure that the hiring requirements will be position-specific. It might be worth spending some time researching the positions available right now and reviewing the requirements and asking if you feel you would qualify given this program that you're contemplating.

Related to Computer Science Degree w/out Probability & Statistics Required

1. What is the difference between a computer science degree with and without probability and statistics requirements?

A computer science degree with probability and statistics requirements includes coursework in these subjects, while a degree without these requirements does not. This means that students without these requirements may not have as strong a foundation in these areas, which are important in fields such as data science and machine learning.

2. Can I still pursue a career in data science with a computer science degree without probability and statistics requirements?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in data science with a computer science degree without probability and statistics requirements. However, you may need to supplement your education with additional courses or self-study in order to have a strong understanding of these subjects, which are crucial in the field of data science.

3. Are there any advantages to having a computer science degree without probability and statistics requirements?

One potential advantage is that without these requirements, students may have more flexibility in their coursework, allowing them to focus on other areas of computer science that interest them. However, it is important to keep in mind that having a strong foundation in probability and statistics can be beneficial in many fields within computer science.

4. Will I still be able to understand algorithms and data structures without a background in probability and statistics?

Yes, you can still understand algorithms and data structures without a background in probability and statistics. These subjects are typically covered in computer science courses, even if the degree does not have specific requirements in these areas. However, having a strong understanding of probability and statistics can help you better analyze and optimize algorithms and data structures.

5. How can I compensate for not having probability and statistics requirements in my computer science degree?

If you are pursuing a computer science degree without probability and statistics requirements, you can compensate by taking additional courses or self-studying in these areas. You can also gain practical experience through internships or projects that involve working with data. Additionally, networking and connecting with professionals in the field can provide valuable insight and guidance in utilizing probability and statistics in computer science careers.