Going to Physics from Computer Science

In summary, the person has a B.S. in Computer Science and wants to return to school for physics. They plan on taking undergraduate courses to prepare for graduate school, but are unsure if only taking the required courses would be enough. They are also considering taking the Physics GRE to test their knowledge. The person is not discouraged by the time commitment and is excited to continue their education in physics.
rcasale42
My situation is this: I graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science in 2011 and have been working ever since. Now I'm thinking of returning to school for physics, with the ultimate goal of going to graduate school for physics. I think it's safe to assume I am not well prepared for graduate school, so I'm planning on taking under graduate courses. As part of my computer science degree I did take some physics classes, but it was so long ago I am effectively starting from scratch.

I've noticed that physics programs tend to have a set of required classes that cover the introductory material, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics, in addition to some electives.

My question is this, if I take the required undergraduate courses but forgo taking any electives, would that be enough to get into a graduate school (assuming I also have some research experience and recommendations) ? Would it be advisable to go into graduate school with this minimum knowledge?

I realize this will be a long process no matter. I'm just trying to get a sense of how much time would be involved.

Thanks!
Rudy

Physics news on Phys.org
rcasale42 said:
My question is this, if I take the required undergraduate courses but forgo taking any electives, would that be enough to get into a graduate school (assuming I also have some research experience and recommendations) ?

Depends on the situation. But it's definitely possible to get in a grad school with this, but it might not be a top 10 school.

Would it be advisable to go into graduate school with this minimum knowledge?

No, definitely not. The more knowledge and experience, the better. Why? First of all, you must select a subject you like. If you only did the required courses, then you will not have a clear idea of what you like and what you're good at it. Second, of course, you'll need to be catching up a lot of stuff in grad school and won't be doing research for some time.

rcasale42 said:
My situation is this: I graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science in 2011 and have been working ever since. Now I'm thinking of returning to school for physics, with the ultimate goal of going to graduate school for physics. I think it's safe to assume I am not well prepared for graduate school, so I'm planning on taking under graduate courses. As part of my computer science degree I did take some physics classes, but it was so long ago I am effectively starting from scratch.

I've noticed that physics programs tend to have a set of required classes that cover the introductory material, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics, in addition to some electives.

My question is this, if I take the required undergraduate courses but forgo taking any electives, would that be enough to get into a graduate school (assuming I also have some research experience and recommendations) ? Would it be advisable to go into graduate school with this minimum knowledge?

I realize this will be a long process no matter. I'm just trying to get a sense of how much time would be involved.

Thanks!
Rudy

Check your knowledge against what I recommend that you do in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

Zz.

Thanks for the replies!

I guess I'm not surprised to learn there are no short cuts. Though the time commitment doesn't discourage me, so I guess that's a good sign :smile:

I think I will try out the Physics GRE. I was initially thinking I had forgotten everything, but now that I've been watching various videos on you tube I realize I remember more then I realized.

Thanks again!

Related to Going to Physics from Computer Science

1. How is physics related to computer science?

Physics and computer science are closely related as both fields deal with understanding and manipulating the world around us. Physics focuses on the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world, while computer science uses these principles to develop algorithms and programs that can simulate and analyze complex systems.

2. What skills from computer science are applicable to physics?

Computer science skills such as coding, data analysis, and problem-solving are highly applicable to physics. In fact, many physicists use computer programs and simulations to model and analyze complex systems. Additionally, computer science skills can help with data processing and analysis in experimental physics.

3. How can a computer science background benefit a career in physics?

A computer science background can be highly beneficial for a career in physics. With the increasing use of technology and data in physics research, having strong computer science skills can make you a valuable asset in the field. Additionally, a background in computer science can open up opportunities for interdisciplinary research and collaborations.

4. Are there any specific subfields of physics that heavily utilize computer science?

Yes, there are several subfields of physics that heavily utilize computer science. Some examples include computational physics, which uses computer simulations to study complex physical systems, and astrophysics, where computer models are used to analyze and interpret large data sets from telescopes and satellites.

5. What resources are available for individuals interested in combining physics and computer science?

There are many resources available for individuals interested in combining physics and computer science. Some universities offer joint degree programs in both fields, and there are also online courses and resources for self-study. Additionally, there are professional organizations and conferences that focus on the intersection of physics and computer science, providing opportunities for networking and learning about the latest research in the field.