Can You Get a Physics Doctorate Without an MSc in Quantum Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary coursework for a person majoring in physics, the importance of quantum mechanics in various fields of physics, and the requirements for enrolling in a PhD program. The conversation also mentions the different educational systems and requirements in different countries. Overall, it is important for a physics major to have a strong understanding of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and classical electromagnetism, and the specific requirements for a PhD program may vary depending on the country.
anthonych414
Hello, I was wondering if a person majoring in physics takes quantum physics classes too, and if a person with a BSc in physics get a doctorate without having an MSc in physics.

Thanks for the help. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that it would be possible to get a bachelor without going into quantum mechanics, it is pivotal to every field you might want to go into. The only physics that don't rely on quantum is cosmology.

Every physics major I know of requires at least one semester of quantum mechanics, if not two. You can enroll in a PhD program with a bachelors, but you can't skip the masters coursework, although not all PhD programs grant the masters degree. But they will require you to do the coursework. And even if you do want to study cosmology, that still requires quantum mechanics (observational cosmology often relies on spectra, and you need to know QM to know how those spectra are produced and interpreted).

eri said:
And even if you do want to study cosmology, that still requires quantum mechanics (observational cosmology often relies on spectra, and you need to know QM to know how those spectra are produced and interpreted).
I would not call that quantum mechanics, rather just the quantization of light which was the first thing found to be quantized. It do not require a course, you can learn the essence of it and how it is important for cosmology in a single lecture.

If you want to do early universe cosmology, then quantum mechanics is very highly important.

nicksauce said:
If you want to do early universe cosmology, then quantum mechanics is very highly important.
Aye, but isn't that called particle or high energy physics?

I want to major in physics and I want to take quantum mechanics courses, then I want to get a PhD to become a university professor, but i just wanted to know if it was obligatory to have an MSc to enroll in a PhD program.

When you ask questions like this, it is imperative that you indicate where you are, or where you intend to go to school. Different parts of the world have different requirements! In the US, you only require a B.Sc or similar degrees to be accepted into a Ph.D program. This may not be true in other countries under other educational systems. So it would be moot to give you any specific advice without knowing where you intend to go to school.

There are roughly three basic areas of physics that practically ALL physics students, regardless of where they go to school, must learn and know rather well by the time they get their undergraduate degree: classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and classical electromagnetism. So don't you worry about learning QM. You'll have to know it as a physics major whether you want to or not.

I would suggest that you read my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay that should cover your questions here.

Zz.

It depends on where you go to graduate school. In the USA, one normally enters a physics Ph.D. program directly after finishing a bachelor's degree (BS or BA). In other countries the situation may be different.

Related to Can You Get a Physics Doctorate Without an MSc in Quantum Physics?

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describes how these particles behave and interact with each other.

Why is quantum physics important to study in college?

Quantum physics is important to study in college because it is the foundation of modern physics and has practical applications in various fields, such as technology, medicine, and energy. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how everything around us works.

Is quantum physics difficult to understand?

Quantum physics can be challenging to understand because it involves complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts. However, with proper guidance and practice, it can be grasped and applied to solve real-world problems.

What are some common misconceptions about quantum physics?

Some common misconceptions about quantum physics include the idea that it only applies to very small objects, that it is purely theoretical, and that it violates the laws of classical physics. In reality, quantum physics has been extensively tested and used in various practical applications.

What career opportunities are available for those who study quantum physics in college?

Studying quantum physics in college can lead to a variety of career opportunities, such as working in research and development for technology companies, working in the energy or aerospace industries, or pursuing a career in academia as a physicist or professor.