Calculating Forces in Basic Kinematics: Acceleration and Retardation

• Thread starter ultinator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: This is good. The horizontal component of the pushing force is Xcos(30). Let's say that force acts to the right.x (30o handle to horizontal ) = 23.1 N ?Yes, that is correct.
ultinator

Homework Statement

Hello there,

I have answered the first part by calculating the retarden force is equal to 80*cos30. This gave me an answer of 69.3N.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to ascertain the force needed to accelerate the mass by 1ms-2 along the 30oto the horizontal line - as shown in the drawing.
[/B]

Homework Equations

I used F=mg to convert mass to weight = 196.2 N
I have looked at rearranging the F=ma equation.
and also some of the kinematics equations. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Physics question.jpg
    Physics question.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
To get such an acceleration, what must be the net force on the lawn mower? (In what direction?)

Doc Al said:
To get such an acceleration, what must be the net force on the lawn mower? (In what direction?)

I guess the force needs to be equated to the horizontal orientation, but then i think of F=ma and with the mass and acceleration being 20*1 respectively. I end up think about a force of 20N pushing horizontally towards the right.

It feels like I am missing something really obvious to do with the trigonometry side of things, I think.

ultinator said:
I guess the force needs to be equated to the horizontal orientation, but then i think of F=ma and with the mass and acceleration being 20*1 respectively. I end up think about a force of 20N pushing horizontally towards the right.

It feels like I am missing something really obvious to do with the trigonometry side of things, I think.
I'm a new member too - go easy (!) (I just read i was supposed to announce that first - sorry)

ultinator said:
Good. Applying ΣF = ma, you have found that the net force to produce such an acceleration must equal 20 N horizontally.

Now imagine the force pushing down the handle is X. Write an expression for the horizontal component of that force. Then write an expression for the net force, in terms of X. Set it equal to what you found above and you should be able to solve for X.

Doc Al said:
Good. Applying ΣF = ma, you have found that the net force to produce such an acceleration must equal 20 N horizontally.

Now imagine the force pushing down the handle is X. Write an expression for the horizontal component of that force. Then write an expression for the net force, in terms of X. Set it equal to what you found above and you should be able to solve for X.
x (30o handle to horizontal ) = horizontal component (20) / cos 30 = 23.1 N ?

apologies if i come across like an imbecile, but in my head I am thinking to move the mass with enough force to accelerate it by 1ms-2, then it needs to receive a horizontal force of 20N, then to apply those 20N from the 30degree handle equates a number that is obviously larger than 20. I kind of reversed the order of the first part of this question to get this result, but it seems not enough, as 20N is like 2kg of force pushing a 20kg mass?

Try doing what I suggested:
Doc Al said:
Now imagine the force pushing down the handle is X. Write an expression for the horizontal component of that force.

I just want a simple expression for that horizontal component. No numbers (except the angle).

What you want to be doing is applying ΣF = ma in the horizontal direction. We already know that ΣF = 20 N, so we need to identify and add up the horizontal components of all forces to get an expression for ΣF.

Doc Al said:
What you want to be doing is applying ΣF = ma in the horizontal direction. We already know that ΣF = 20 N, so we need to identify and add up the horizontal components of all forces to get an expression for ΣF.

for horizontal component - Horizontal component (H) = x *c os30.

20N = 20kg x 1ms-2 = horizontal force needed.
rearrange horizontal component formula to make x the subject - x = H / cos30 = 23N
23 N + 20N = 43N...?

Am i going in the right direction roughly?

Also i greatly appreciate you taking your time to help me. its probably quite a trivial question for you to deal with but I feel once I've grasped the basic, the rest will become a bit easier

ultinator said:
for horizontal component - Horizontal component (H) = x *c os30.
This is good. The horizontal component of the pushing force is Xcos(30). Let's say that force acts to the right.

ultinator said:
20N = 20kg x 1ms-2 = horizontal force needed.
rearrange horizontal component formula to make x the subject - x = H / cos30 = 23N
23 N + 20N = 43N...?
Let's do this systematically.

You found the horizontal component of the pushing force. What other forces act on the mower? (The one you found in part a, for instance!)

Doc Al said:
This is good. The horizontal component of the pushing force is Xcos(30). Let's say that force acts to the right.Let's do this systematically.

You found the horizontal component of the pushing force. What other forces act on the mower? (The one you found in part a, for instance!)

The other force acting would be the vertical component, and that together with the horizontal adds together to make x?

but can't i take the horizontal component and use the cos function to establish x, like i attempted to do?

ultinator said:
The other force acting would be the vertical component, and that together with the horizontal adds together to make x?
We don't care about the vertical component of the pushing force, only the horizontal force. What forces act on the mower? I can identify 4 forces, two of which have horizontal components. One is the pushing force that we called X. What are the other three?

Doc Al said:
We don't care about the vertical component of the pushing force, only the horizontal force. What forces act on the mower? I can identify 4 forces, two of which have horizontal components. One is the pushing force that we called X. What are the other three?

force and displacement?

or force and speed?

ultinator said:
force and displacement?

or force and speed?
I want you to name the actual forces that are acting on the mower. (Displacement and speed are not forces.)

Like this:
(1) The pushing force down the handle, X
(2) The weight acting down

You fill in the other two:
(3)
(4)

Doc Al said:
I want you to name the actual forces that are acting on the mower. (Displacement and speed are not forces.)

Like this:
(1) The pushing force down the handle, X
(2) The weight acting down

You fill in the other two:
(3)
(4)
the pushing force across the handle
the weight resisting back

p.s. I won't blame you if you lose patience with me :(

Last edited:
ultinator said:
the pushing force across the handle
We've already covered the force on the handle. That's the first one listed.

ultinator said:
the weight resisting back
Not sure what you mean by that.

Hints for the remaining two forces: What's preventing the mower from moving downward? What was the force you calculated in step a?

Doc Al said:
We've already covered the force on the handle. That's the first one listed.Not sure what you mean by that.

Hints for the remaining two forces: What's preventing the mower from moving downward? What was the force you calculated in step a?

ummm gravity, and the force that opposes the gravity, (equal and opposite reaction?)

gravity and the retard force?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Forces in Basic Kinematics: Acceleration and Retardation

What is basic kinematics?

Basic kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects based on time.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path an object has traveled, while displacement is the shortest distance from the initial to the final position of an object. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

What is velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude and direction of an object's change in velocity.

How is acceleration related to displacement and velocity?

Acceleration is the second derivative of displacement with respect to time and the first derivative of velocity with respect to time. In other words, acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time, or the change in displacement divided by the square of the change in time.