Spring Dynamic Kinematics - acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the use of a constant in a linear relation between acceleration and displacement, and how it relates to the concept of mass in physics equations. The question is whether or not the constant should include the mass, and a classmate's explanation is also mentioned.
Haizakokaru

Homework Statement

2.26_zpsrtzbm2wr.png

Homework Equations

Standard physics equations before forces are introduced into kinematics
U1L6a1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply looked at Chegg and could not figure out how

a = 400 - kx

when logic dictates that

a = 400 - kx/m

, since this is possibly a sum of forces. Otherwise, it is lost to me how

F= -kx

is suddenly an acceleration quantity. Could someone explain that one line? Everything makes sense save for how

kx

stands alone in an acceleration equation. A classmate of mine who took this class before explained to me that in my dynamics class, mass is dropped from the equation when mass is not relevant to the question. However, he could not describe the reasoning behind it, so I was left somewhat unsatisfied by the answer.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
In the solution, ##k## does not represent the spring constant. It just represents a constant in the linear relation between ##a## and ##x##.

Likes Haizakokaru

Related to Spring Dynamic Kinematics - acceleration

1. What is Spring Dynamic Kinematics (SDK)?

Spring Dynamic Kinematics (SDK) is a system used to analyze the acceleration of a body in motion. It takes into account the forces acting on the body and calculates its acceleration over time.

2. What is the importance of studying acceleration in SDK?

Studying acceleration in SDK is important because it helps us understand how an object's movement changes over time. This information can be used to optimize designs and improve the performance of systems.

3. How does SDK calculate acceleration?

SDK calculates acceleration by using the principles of Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. What factors can affect acceleration in SDK?

The factors that can affect acceleration in SDK include the net force acting on the body, its mass, and any external forces or constraints that may be present.

5. How is SDK used in real-world applications?

SDK is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as analyzing the performance of vehicles, optimizing the design of sporting equipment, and improving the efficiency of industrial machines. It is also used in research and development to study the effects of acceleration on biological and mechanical systems.