Bad Math Jokes

• Thread starter benorin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary: On the surface this one looks a bit ... disconnected.It's the fundamental theorem of calculus. On the left hand side, you have the integral (area) under the curve f(x) from a to b. On the right hand side, you have the difference between the values of the antiderivative F(x) at a and b. So it's connecting the concepts of area and slope (antiderivative).
In fact, it turns out that the set of all infinities [having different cardinalities] is an infinite set. But until just recently we didn't know the cardinality of the set of all infinities. Someone finally came up with a proof that it is the one we all know and love - countable infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
In fact, it turns out that the set of all infinities [having different cardinalities] is an infinite set.
Are you sure? Sounds like a proper class to me. As stackexchange confirms.

• Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking
jbriggs444 said:
Are you sure? Sounds like a proper class to me. As stackexchange confirms.
Hmmm, that is what I read in something respectable [not sure exactly what now but probably Scientific American]. Maybe the proof was later found to be flawed. I thought it was a done deal.

loving women ia.png

loving women ib.png

• Care
  • Haha
Likes nuuskur, pinball1970, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
Forget all those women, I am still trying to understand how to interpolate, or read a log scale that changes by a factor of 100 per cycle. 1, 4, 9, 16 ... 100.

Likes Wrichik Basu, pinball1970, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
Baluncore said:
Forget all those women, I am still trying to understand how to interpolate, or read a log scale that changes by a factor of 100 per cycle. 1, 4, 9, 16 ... 100.
I knew someone would catch that...

DaveC426913 said:
There was a basketball player who took a lot of grief when he made the following comment [approximately]: I've slept with hundreds of women, and I loved them all! I remember snickering as well.

After ten years of being single again, now I understand!

Baluncore said:
If I'm not mistaken, since there are 9 lines per decade, and each decade increases by 100, the number corresponding to each line is [itex] 100^{\frac{1}{9}} \approx 1.668101[/itex] multiplied by the previous line's corresponding number.

and so on.

(Edit: Nevermind. This would be the case if the lines on the chart were equally space. But they're not.)

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
If I'm not mistaken, since there are 9 lines per decade, and each decade increases by 100, the number corresponding to each line is [itex] 100^{\frac{1}{9}} \approx 1.668101[/itex] multiplied by the previous line's corresponding number.

That not how log scales work.

The axis numbers still increase arithmetically within each "decade", in this case by an increment of ##\frac{100-1}{10-1} = 11##, so

1, 12, 23, 34, 45, 56, 67, 78, 89, 100.

Likes collinsmark
I considered whether it would be better to use the log grid correctly, but I decided it would have made it less readable.

Turns out, the only readers who are into this kind of humour are also very particular about getting the math correct.

Someone else wondered why - since it's a linear function - it was rendered as logarthymic at all.

Likes PhDeezNutz
pinball1970 said:
I thought he was going to rescue everyone, that's no fun though!
Thought the objective was to get everyone killed in the least amount of effort :cool:

to more understandable math jokes............

A king and his castle is surrounded by 2 armies, and it is a stalemate, as the kings army is just as large as the other two. Still being seiged and all that is not pleasant.
His squire, an ingenious fellow, says that he will dual with the other squires for dominance.
The other two kings, and two squires snicker, as they see conquest. It is now definitely two against one.
The game is afoot.
The king's squire gets a pot, mixes oil and a goat's intestines, and a bunch of other stuff, cooks it over a raging flame to make a thick soup oozing over the top.
He flings a rope over a tree branch and hoists the pot in the air.

The other two armies seeing that are aghast.
They have no chance of winning the challenge. They pack up and retreat to their lands.

After all.
A squire of the high pot'n'ooze is equal the sum of the other two squires.

Ha ha - from a sci fi space movie, from a guy joking just before they are attacked.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes docnet, Grelbr42, benorin and 2 others
howling wolf small.jpg

• Haha
Likes Bystander, pinball1970 and BillTre
256bits said:
to more understandable math jokes............
Pythagoras would be proud :D

Light brown/yellow dog:
"So, pie(sic) is an infinite number, and its expansion contains copies of every book ever written? "
Dark dog:
Screenshot_20230506_194800_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha
Likes nuuskur and BillTre
At the Math lounge:
" They're giving away free groups!!"

Likes mathwonk, topsquark and BillTre
Some group theorist had a lecture where he wrote down a new group and named it after an audience member: TED talk, at 16:30.
"That's your new symmetrical object, you are now immortal."

The speaker had no idea who she was. Andrea Ghez won the 2020 Nobel Prize in physics.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre and jack action
Haven't read yet any ' yo mamma' jokes you can always make up: Yo momma so ugly, she does not retract to a CW-Complex through a Simplicial Map.

Likes mathwonk
Never ask a mathematician to rate something. They think 6 is perfect.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, collinsmark, DrClaude and 1 other person
jack action said:
Since the coin is making the gap in the wrench smaller than 7/16 shouldn't it be subtraction instead of addition?

Likes BillTre and Borg
mfb said:
that's good :D

perfect numbers

convert-miles-to-km.jpg

• Wow
Likes Frimus, DrClaude, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
From Facebook:

1685458481415.png

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, nuuskur, Bystander and 6 others
Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 8.36.13 AM.png

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, Grelbr42, PhDeezNutz and 3 others
Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 9.57.23 AM.png

Likes Grelbr42 and Borg
Another two digits and they could have rounded it off with the zero.

3-times-4.jpg

Likes dextercioby, Wrichik Basu, collinsmark and 3 others
mfb said:
Always get a Sr. Engineer to tell the rookies what is perfection. ( Release it at 90% of the "nice to haves" in 50% of the time)

Good specs and good design that meet spec, even if it has flaws that could be done better. That's a 10. If not revise the spec.

Tweaks come with Revisions under the guise of "Cost Reductions" Rated a 10 Rev A

But as an engineer, I never knew 6 was perfect. Imagine all the time I wasted trying to be 10.

Oddly enuf, all the consecutive perfect number divisors including itself follow Mr. Fibbonachi's sequence.

Last edited:

Likes collinsmark and jack action
sum-vs-integral.jpg

• Haha
  • Care
Likes dextercioby, Tom.G, gleem and 9 others
DrClaude said:
Shouldn't that be "square glass"?
No, because then it would be a square root beer, not a root beer squared.

Likes BillTre
I cosine this joke. Even though it is a bit of a tangent, I like the angle:

math-pun.jpg

• Haha
Likes BillTre and pinball1970