Why are the paths of our cosmic explorations, pretty?

• Thread starter Trying2Learn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves Sine
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary: Why are the paths of our cosmic explorations, pretty?

OK, so I ask a lot of stupid questions. Here's another.

Why is this picture, below, pretty?

(They are the paths of all our cosmic explorations.)

Now, I get the sine, cosine, circles, gravitational attraction, escape velocity... all that comes into play.

But the curves are so pretty to look at -- the continuity, levels of smoothness, and so on.

Especially, the one's around Mars. What is it that makes it so satisfying to look at? Does my mind perceive the infinite smoothness?

Or is the gummie I ate last night? This is no joke. Why is this pretty?

Cosmic exploration.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask Hunter Biden, famous artist.

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz and russ_watters
Trying2Learn said:
Why are the paths of our cosmic explorations, pretty?
I seriously doubt that everyone would find it pretty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If YOU think it's pretty, then it is. For YOU.

I don't find your image pretty but rather, too busy.

Likes russ_watters, Dale and Motore
It was done by an artist and maybe it looked pretty to them, and maybe your mind works similarly, so it looks pretty to you.

The swirls around the planets on the left side gives some visual balance with the objects on the right side.

IMG_9097.png

https://wikieducator.org/Artistic_principles/Visual_balance

IMG_9099.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes Trying2Learn and russ_watters
Likes Devin-M
Hill said:
It looks pretty to some simply because colors on black background often look pretty.

This takes me back to first grade art class. We covered construction paper with crayon colorings, then painted over with matte black paint. The next task was to “scratch” designs in the black paint, revealing the colors underneath.

Likes Trying2Learn and Hill
Uh, I don't find it pretty: Its sorry mix of scales grates like biting into sour fruit...

Likes Motore and Devin-M
Nik_2213 said:
Uh, I don't find it pretty: Its sorry mix of scales grates like biting into sour fruit...

I suspect the muted tones of— & yet numerous swirls around the moon were specifically intended by the artist to visually balance the commanding presence of Jupiter accompanied by its relatively modest quantity of Jovian visitations.

Likes Trying2Learn and Nik_2213
It's pretty because the artist specializes in knowing what his market finds pretty. He has designed it - with a great deal of time, effort and creativity - to meet that goal.

It's not like this is an accurate physical represention of the data. There's a bunch of real-world data points in the image, yes, but it is very heavily fictionalized (all the curves, colours and geometrics) for the sole purpose of making it pretty.

Likes Trying2Learn
Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Trying2Learn, DennisN, Bystander and 2 others
Trying2Learn said:
TL;DR Summary: Why are the paths of our cosmic explorations, pretty?

OK, so I ask a lot of stupid questions. Here's another.

Why is this picture, below, pretty?

(They are the paths of all our cosmic explorations.)

Now, I get the sine, cosine, circles, gravitational attraction, escape velocity... all that comes into play.

But the curves are so pretty to look at -- the continuity, levels of smoothness, and so on.

Especially, the one's around Mars. What is it that makes it so satisfying to look at? Does my mind perceive the infinite smoothness?

Or is the gummie I ate last night? This is no joke. Why is this pretty?

View attachment 337589
It looks pretty cool in a swirly sort of a way. Van Gogh did something similar, that was pretty.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starry_Night

Last edited:
Likes Trying2Learn, DennisN and BillTre

1. Why do the paths of our cosmic explorations often appear visually appealing or "pretty"?

The paths of cosmic explorations are often designed based on the principles of celestial mechanics, which dictate the movement of objects in space. These paths tend to be elliptical or hyperbolic, following the natural gravitational interactions between celestial bodies. This results in smooth, curved trajectories that many find aesthetically pleasing. Additionally, the visualization of these paths often uses colors and perspectives that enhance their beauty.

2. What role does mathematics play in the beauty of cosmic paths?

Mathematics is fundamental in plotting the trajectories of space missions. The equations of motion that describe the gravitational forces between bodies lead to paths that are not only efficient but also harmoniously aligned with the natural dynamics of our solar system. The symmetry and balance inherent in these mathematical solutions often contribute to what we perceive as visual beauty.

3. How do scientists and engineers design the trajectories for space missions?

Scientists and engineers use complex computer simulations and mathematical modeling to design trajectories. These trajectories need to account for the gravitational pull of planets and moons, fuel efficiency, mission duration, and other logistical constraints. The process involves solving many differential equations to predict the motion of spacecraft relative to celestial bodies, optimizing for the most efficient path.

4. Are the aesthetics of cosmic paths considered when planning missions?

While the primary considerations for mission planning are technical and practical, such as fuel efficiency, safety, and scientific value, the aesthetic aspect of the trajectories is generally a byproduct rather than a goal. However, the visually appealing nature of these paths can play a role in public engagement and educational outreach, making the missions more appealing to the general public and potentially gaining more support and interest.

5. Can the beauty of cosmic paths be used to promote space exploration?

Yes, the beauty of cosmic paths can be a powerful tool for public engagement and educational purposes. By showcasing the elegant trajectories that spacecraft take through our solar system, space agencies and educational institutions can inspire awe and curiosity about space exploration. This can help in raising awareness, increasing funding, and encouraging young people to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.