Anyone else see the new Mad Max?

• Thread starter Jimster41
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, the conversation is about the film "Mad Max: Fury Road" and the overall consensus is that it is a very good film, with most people giving it a rating of 9/10. The film is recommended to be seen in 3D, if possible, and it is praised for its high-octane action and Charlize Theron's performance. There is some discussion about the honesty of Hollywood and the main character of the film, Max. There is also appreciation for the art direction, cinematography, and overall immersion of the film. Some people were initially hesitant to see the film based on the trailer, but were pleasantly surprised by its quality. However, there is a difference of opinion on the level of
Jimster41
It is very very good. 9+/10 IMHO
See it in 3d if at all possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am seeing it in a couple hours! I couldn't believe the ratings. I thought for sure it would be a dud.

Saw it in 2D (3D gives me headaches), really good film! Nothing more than it pretends to be, a high octane crazy car chase. Was totally Charlize Theron's film, Tom Hardy was good but she really carried it.

Just got back. A real trip. Love the artistic direction.Totally over the cliff in every possible way, but that is the glory in it. Pure fun entertainment. Good job.

Ryan_m_b said:
Saw it in 2D (3D gives me headaches), really good film! Nothing more than it pretends to be, a high octane crazy car chase. Was totally Charlize Theron's film, Tom Hardy was good but she really carried it.

So it is true, that Max isn't even the main character. They should have been honest at least, and rename the fim...

GTOM said:
So it is true, that Max isn't even the main character. They should have been honest at least, and rename the fim...
Uh ... wait ... you are expecting honesty from Hollywood? Listen, I've got this really impressive bridge in Brooklyn that I'll sell you at a great price.

GTOM said:

No that's not true, Max is a main character but there is arguably one other leads the film better than he does.

Max is pretty main, but it's an ensemble situation. I think the theme is exactly that too. I like Tom Hardy, and he was a pretty awesome Max.
I thought the Hoult kid was pretty darn good.

"Wiiiitneeeeeeeeeeeess!"

But the filmmakers do a great job of making the cast just a part of medium, and not distracting.

I agree that the overall art was dead on, true to the original, as was the pacing.
Some stunning cinematography. The scene where Charlize is just kneeling in the desert, screaming. All you hear is music. Can't get that one out of my head.

You see something like that, and you are like, "that's was good" then later, it's like... How...did they do that!.
I'm just talking about the rust. The rust was perfect. And some of the stunts... CGI, yeah sure lots of it. But I think some of that was real, at the edge, stuntwork.

So many details, used to set the stage, tell the wider story... that's the key. That's the immersion...

The "tacit in-dwelling of narrative" as M. Polanyi would say.

Jimster41 said:
You see something like that, and you are like, "that's was good" then later, it's like... How...did they do that!.

I saw a late show and had real trouble falling asleep after. It's like riding a roller coaster for 2 hours.

Jimster41 said:
And some of the stunts... CGI, yeah sure lots of it.

Honestly I could very rarely tell what was CGI and what was real (obviously bodies flying)

Last edited:
Likes Jimster41
I like Charlize as action chick (what's not to like). She impressed me in Aeon Flux. And she didn't disappoint here.

When I saw the trailer, I thought it looked like it would be one of the worst films of all time. If a hundred people tell me that it's good, then maybe I'll have to watch it some time, but no way I'll go to see it in a movie theater.

Fredrik said:
When I saw the trailer, I thought it looked like it would be one of the worst films of all time. If a hundred people tell me that it's good, then maybe I'll have to watch it some time, but no way I'll go to see it in a movie theater.
I was the same way. Trust me, I hate Fast and Furious and Transformers, but Mad Max is about as good as it gets. It's a must see in a theater. Just do it! :)

Fredrik said:
When I saw the trailer, I thought it looked like it would be one of the worst films of all time. If a hundred people tell me that it's good, then maybe I'll have to watch it some time,...
Greg Bernhardt said:
I was the same way. Trust me, I hate Fast and Furious and Transformers, but Mad Max is about as good as it gets. It's a must see in a theater. Just do it! :)
Hm. You guys are singin' my song. Maybe I'll change my mind too.
Jimster41 said:
But the filmmakers do a great job of making the cast just a part of medium, and not distracting.
Wait wait wait waitwaitwait.

Wait.

You don't like the characters to distract from the story?? :eek:

DaveC426913 said:
Hm. You guys are singin' my song. Maybe I'll change my mind too.
Wait wait wait waitwaitwait.

Wait.

You don't like the characters to distract from the story?? :eek:

I don't like the actors to distract from the story. A film where I know none of the actors is at an advantage before the title even rolls.
I should have been more clear in differentiating between cast of actors and cast of characters.

In this one I buy all the characters. And the actors barely register. Just the way I like it.

Go see it, I doubt you'll be sorry. I think it's a classic of the future.
I need to learn more about George Miller.

Wait are you saying he did Transformers and F&F? That would explain why I hadn't heard of him. Those are fun as comics, but definitely board room movies. This is not. This is top shelf post apocalyptic Sci-fI.

I'm already itching to see it again...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Jimster41 said:
I don't like the actors to distract from the story. A film where I know none of the actors is at an advantage before the title even rolls.
I should have been more clear in differentiating between cast of actors and cast of characters.
Ah. Upon rereading, I thought maybe that's what you meant. In your defense, you did say "cast", which is a reference to the actors, not the characters. My bad.

Wonderful movie as many others have said before. Funny in some places, but sort of serious in others, and the wonderful part is that it does not pretend to be some dissertation on life the universe and everything (which obviously would be about the number 42) but rather about getting to see a high octane car chase through the desert, and it does that splendidly.

This moivie is awesome! I was afraid that it would be worse then previous parts, but instead it appeared to be even better! I don't remember when was the last time when I had so much fun while watching a film.

My friends are going out tomorrow to watch it and asked me if I wanted to come. I was thinking about saying no, but I'm having second thoughts now after coming across this thread...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I wan't sure what to expect. I didn't know watching a car chase for two hours could be so thrilling. The girls were really hot too.

Ryan_m_b said:
No that's not true, Max is a main character but there is arguably one other leads the film better than he does.
They have written the script for a laughable action babe. I think i have better things to do then go to the cinema and watch a dumb action movie that isn't even Mad Max.

GTOM said:
They have written the script for a laughable action babe. I think i have better things to do then go to the cinema and watch a dumb action movie that isn't even Mad Max.

What makes her laughable? Have you even seen the film? If the only reason you don't want to see it is that Max is thrown together with a strong female character then you're missing out on a great film for a poor reason.

Ryan_m_b said:
What makes her laughable? Have you even seen the film?
Agreed, I thought Furiosa (Charlize) was an extremely strong feminine character that you wanted to cheer for.

Likes Ryan_m_b
I really liked the chem between her and Max. Understated, as a post apocalyptic romance might be.

I wouldn't really have said that I felt that there was any form or romantic chemistry between them.

I was being a little ironic, in calling it an understated romance.

It was like a joke.

Ryan_m_b said:
What makes her laughable? Have you even seen the film? If the only reason you don't want to see it is that Max is thrown together with a strong female character then you're missing out on a great film for a poor reason.

Chuck Norris, Jet Li, they could face a real enemy. Schwarzenegger has the strength, Mel Gibson has the charisma. Michelle Yeoh she really had a hard training, Lucy Lawless worked in a mine.
I can believe that they could handle a slap. Charlize as the big action hero, who isn't even equal to Max, but becomes dominant...
Okay i will watch it when it reaches TV, i have an action-comedy on my movie list.

GTOM said:
Chuck Norris, Jet Li, they could face a real enemy. Schwarzenegger has the strength, Mel Gibson has the charisma. Michelle Yeoh she really had a hard training, Lucy Lawless worked in a mine.
I can believe that they could handle a slap. Charlize as the big action hero, who isn't even equal to Max, but becomes dominant...
Okay i will watch it when it reaches TV, i have an action-comedy on my movie list.

Charlize has been in action roles before, like aeonflux which was an underrated film in my opinion. I don't get what you mean as not equal to max but in terms of whether or not she plays an action hero the answer is resoundingly yes. In the film she's strong, smart and gives off a very powerful vibe.

GTOM said:
Dislike

Likes Ryan_m_b and Jimster41
Greg Bernhardt said:
Dislike
Agree.

Likes Ryan_m_b
I saw this movie in IMAX 3D and I found it really entertaining, even if a bit thin on plot. I'm not sure I'd really want to watch it outside of a theater though. It's like a post apocalyptic cirque du soleil.

One of my favorite reviews about this movie had the realization that Mad Max's character was playing the role of the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" trope in his own movie. It's so true, but it worked well.

Likes Ryan_m_b and Greg Bernhardt
DavidSnider said:
I saw this movie in IMAX 3D and I found it really entertaining, even if a bit thin on plot. I'm not sure I'd really want to watch it outside of a theater though. It's like a post apocalyptic cirque du soleil.

One of my favorite reviews about this movie had the realization that Mad Max's character was playing the role of the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" trope in his own movie. It's so true, but it worked well.

Had to wiki that but, I agree. And the idea seems post apocalyptically...apropos?

I saw an interview w/George Miller. I guess he's got two more.

WOW ---- it must be a generational thing. That movie was the biggest DUD I've seen in a long time. No Plot, no character, no theme. Just a 95% car chase fight scene movie. (Yes, easily 95%).

Sure, the CGI technology and 3D were spectacular. But the totally contrived, impractical, weapons and devices were laughable and really hard to get past. The high speed fight scenes just went ON and ON and ON and ON and ON and ON and On and ... - No Lie, 95% of the movie was car chase battle scenes. The bad guys can't shoot, can't fight, and the good guys can't miss. Sheesh ---

I have no idea how anyone thought anybody "dominated" as a character since there was nothing like any character development.

It had no soul. It'll be even more boring when it hits TV.

Likes phion
meBigGuy said:
But the totally contrived, impractical, weapons and devices were laughable and really hard to get past.

bhpNqLf.jpg

Looks fairly reasonable to me. I think you're right, it's a generational thing.

DavidSnider said:
Looks fairly reasonable to me. I think you're right, it's a generational thing.

The guitar truck was my absolute favorite part! It's not supposed to be realistic.

Likes Ryan_m_b
I don't need or expect realistic (in fact I intentionally didn't use that word). This was WAY beyond unrealistic (try stupid). Guardians of the Galaxy was hardly realistic, for example, and I loved it. I just found Mad Max tiresome.
If it had been 25% chase battles and more drama, ... well, it wasn't, so that's that. I suppose I should have watch the trailer.

The film technology was impressive. If you are going to see it, see it in 3D in the theater.