Angular Momentum Conservation (Lorentz transf. + Noether Th.)

In summary: The main idea is to show that the "spin" part of the angular momentum is conserved. The "orbital" angular momentum is more straightforward, and is already conserved.In summary, the conversation discusses proving a formula for a conserved current, using the energy-momentum tensor and the Orbital Momentum and spin. The attempt at a solution involves using all the given information, but there are some issues with the indices and the expression for the internal part. A helpful resource for solving this problem is provided in the form of a paper.
Breo

Homework Statement

Prove $$ j^{\mu} = j_ {EXTERIOR}^{\mu} + j_ {INTERIOR}^{\mu}$$. Writing $$j_ {EXTERIOR}^{\mu}$$ in terms of the energy-momentum tensor. Prove $$j_ {EXTERIOR}^{\mu}$$ is related to the Orbital Momentum and $$j_ {INTERIOR}^{\mu}$$ to the spin.Sorry, for the lane shifts.

Homework Equations

$$ x' \longrightarrow x $$
$$ x \longrightarrow \Lambda^{-1}x $$

$$ \Lambda = \mathbb{1} - i\epsilon I_D \implies D[\Lambda] = \mathbb{1} - i\epsilon I_R $$

This yields:

$$ \phi' (x) = D[\Lambda]\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x) = \phi(x) - i\epsilon I_R\phi(x) + i\epsilon(I_Dx)^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\phi(x)$$

So in Taylor expansion:

$$\frac {\delta \phi'}{\delta \epsilon} = -iI_R\phi + i(I_Dx)^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\phi$$

$$\frac {\delta x'}{\delta x} = -i\epsilon I_Dx$$

The conserved current formula:

$$j^{\mu}= \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)} \frac {\delta \phi'}{\delta \epsilon} + \mathcal{L}\frac {\delta x'^{\mu}}{\delta \epsilon} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I tried a few things. Trying to use all was given in the course notes but I am always crashing with the next:

The $$\frac {\delta x'}{\delta x} = -i\epsilon I_Dx$$ seems to be wrong for me. If I try this:

$$\frac {\delta x'}{\delta \epsilon} = -i I_Dx$$ Because this must come from the $$\Lambda^{-1}x $$ right?

And setting two indices to the I_R and I_D matrices (there are 6 for each one corresponding to the Lorentz transf. in each angle or rapidity), then I reach the expresion for the internal part, which corresponds to the spin:

$$-iI_{\alpha \beta}( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\phi) $$

plus, $$ iI_{\alpha \beta}x^{\beta}T_{\beta}^{\alpha} $$ Which must be wrong! because the indices of x and T must be different to set the antisymmetric part and then prove the orbital momentum conservation.Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is worked out in this paper:
http://rickbradford.co.uk/NoethersTheorem.pdf

The notation is different, and they are assuming particles with spin (so that the angular momentum has a spin part and and "orbital" part).

Related to Angular Momentum Conservation (Lorentz transf. + Noether Th.)

1. What is angular momentum conservation?

Angular momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.

2. What is the role of Lorentz transformations in angular momentum conservation?

Lorentz transformations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the relationship between space and time in special relativity. They play a crucial role in angular momentum conservation by allowing us to transform between reference frames and still maintain the conservation of angular momentum.

3. How does Noether's theorem relate to angular momentum conservation?

Noether's theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. In the case of angular momentum conservation, the continuous rotational symmetry of a system leads to the conservation of angular momentum.

4. What are some examples of systems where angular momentum conservation applies?

Angular momentum conservation applies to many physical systems, including spinning objects such as tops or gyroscopes, orbiting bodies like planets and satellites, and subatomic particles like electrons.

5. Can angular momentum be transferred between different forms?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between different forms. For example, in a closed system, if one object gains angular momentum, another object in the system must lose an equal amount of angular momentum in the opposite direction in order to maintain the conservation of angular momentum.