A programmer branching out into other STEM topics

• Studying
  • Thread starter gibberingmouther
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stem Topics
In summary, the person is a computer science major and enjoys learning new physics and math through self-study. They wonder if this hobby can be made career relevant and if advanced physics can help with becoming a better programmer. They can explore the options of using general purpose programming languages or special purpose languages designed for scientific calculation. They can also look into the opinions of Doron Zeilberger on the role of computers in math.
gibberingmouther
so I'm a computer science major about halfway done with my degree (i have an associate's and am waiting to resume school maybe in the fall or spring). i really enjoy learning new physics and math and about electronics (i have a few electronics workbooks that are outdated, but they are still interesting to work through since I'm assuming a transistor is a transistor, for example, though it may be made different ways).

i know I'm not completely wasting my time by self studying physics and higher level calculus because, at least if i end up at penn state i know, i still have to take some basic physics and a calc III course. but could i make it career relevant to self study further than that? i'd just be doing it for fun and because i like getting good at things. will advanced physics help me with becoming a better programmer with a deeper understanding of computer science? or should i just accept that it is a hobby ... again, is there any way i can make my hobby career relevant?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly find books on "scientific computation", "numerical analysis", "finite element methods" etc. Whether they are relevant to a future career depends, of course, on whether your future involves writing scientific programs.

The two basic ways to combine programming with math and science are:

1) Study how to use a general purpose programming language (e.g. C, Python, Java) to do scientific computation.

2) Study how to use special purpose languages designed for scientific and engineering calculation ( e.g. Mathematica, Maple, Maxima, PSpice)

In approach 1) you implement the details yourself - and presumably learn the math and science.

In approach 2) you rely on libraries other people have written to do much of the work. This is a good approach if you already understand what the libraries are doing.

If you want to hear the role of computers in math extolled, checkout the opinions of Doron Zeilberger - e.g. http://sites.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/Opinion132.html

Likes gibberingmouther

Related to A programmer branching out into other STEM topics

What are some examples of other STEM topics that a programmer could branch out into?

A programmer could branch out into fields such as data science, artificial intelligence, robotics, cybersecurity, and bioinformatics.

What skills from programming can be applied to other STEM topics?

Programming skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and logical reasoning can be applied to other STEM topics. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages and algorithms can be helpful in fields like data science and artificial intelligence.

Is it beneficial for a programmer to branch out into other STEM topics?

Yes, branching out into other STEM topics can broaden a programmer's skill set and make them more versatile in the job market. It can also lead to new and exciting career opportunities.

What are some challenges a programmer may face when branching out into other STEM topics?

Some challenges a programmer may face include learning new concepts and theories, adjusting to different programming languages or tools, and adapting to different work environments.

How can a programmer effectively branch out into other STEM topics?

A programmer can effectively branch out by setting achievable goals, continuously learning and practicing new skills, seeking mentorship or guidance from experts in the field, and being open to new challenges and experiences.