Maryland STEM Colleges: Best Options for High Schooler

In summary, UM has one of the best undergraduate physics programs in the country. They are concerned about effectively teaching it and not just in offering a standard curriculum.
thomaddox4
Hi everyone, I'm a high schooler looking at colleges, and as I live in Maryland it would be best if I can find a suitable college in state. I plan on pursuing a double major, in Math and either Computer Science, Biochemistry, or Physics. I am unsure what kind of career I want exactly, only that it's mentally challenging and involves math and science, so I'd like to keep my options open with an overall strong STEM school. It's likely but not certain that I may plan to go on to grad school. What are my best options? Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
UM has one of the best undergrad physics programs in the country. They are concerned about effectively teaching it and not just in offering a standard curriculum.

CapnGranite said:
UM has one of the best undergrad physics programs in the country. They are concerned about effectively teaching it and not just in offering a standard curriculum.

Which branch? I'm assuming college park? And do they do as well in other STEM fields as well?

Yes, the College Park campus. Sorry for not being clear about that. I don't know about other fields. A couple years ago I started to get involved in a national effort to improve undergraduate Earth sciences programs. That made me aware of efforts by several colleges' efforts to improve how physics was being taught and University of Maryland and U Colorado were the most aggressive.

CapnGranite said:
Yes, the College Park campus. Sorry for not being clear about that. I don't know about other fields. A couple years ago I started to get involved in a national effort to improve undergraduate Earth sciences programs. That made me aware of efforts by several colleges' efforts to improve how physics was being taught and University of Maryland and U Colorado were the most aggressive.

Thank you very much for your help!

Related to Maryland STEM Colleges: Best Options for High Schooler

What is a STEM college?

A STEM college is a college or university that focuses on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education. These colleges offer majors and programs in these fields and often have state-of-the-art facilities and resources for students to gain hands-on experience.

Why should high schoolers consider attending a STEM college in Maryland?

Maryland has several highly ranked STEM colleges, such as Johns Hopkins University and the University of Maryland, College Park. Attending a STEM college in Maryland can provide students with access to top-notch faculty, research opportunities, and internship connections in industries such as biotechnology, cybersecurity, and aerospace.

What are some factors to consider when choosing a STEM college in Maryland?

When choosing a STEM college in Maryland, students should consider factors such as the strength of the program in their desired field of study, faculty qualifications and research opportunities, internship and job placement rates, and overall campus resources and support for STEM students. It's also essential to consider the location and cost of the college.

What are some popular majors offered at Maryland's STEM colleges?

Some popular majors offered at Maryland's STEM colleges include computer science, engineering (mechanical, electrical, and bioengineering), biology, chemistry, and mathematics. However, there are also many other niche programs and specializations available, such as data science, environmental science, and neuroscience.

How can high school students prepare for attending a STEM college in Maryland?

High school students can prepare for attending a STEM college in Maryland by taking challenging courses in math and science, participating in extracurricular activities such as science clubs or research projects, and seeking out internships or volunteer opportunities in STEM-related fields. They can also research and visit different colleges to get a better understanding of what each institution has to offer.