Zero Cross Section for e-+ e+ -> γ

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from an old exam regarding the calculation of cross sections in particle physics. The question specifically asks why the process of e-+ e+ -> γ has a cross section of zero. The participants suggest drawing a Feynman diagram and considering conservation laws to understand this phenomenon.
jennyjones

Homework Statement

I am making an old exam of a particle physics course, and i know how to calculate the cross section for example for
bhabha or moller scattering.

now one of the questions on the old exam is:

Explain why e-+ e+ -> γ is zero, but i am not sure why this is, can someone explain this or point me in the right direction.

I would usually when determining the cross section start with drawing the lowest order feynman diagram, my book put t on the x axis, and the determine the vertex and propagator factors, so i can determine the matrix element.

than with the formula dσ/dΩ = 1/64*pi*s * M^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does it perhaps violate some conservation law? Do you even need to draw a Feynman diagram to come to this conclusion?

Related to Zero Cross Section for e-+ e+ -> γ

1. What is a zero cross section?

A zero cross section is a value that represents the probability of a particular particle interaction occurring. It is used in particle physics to describe the likelihood of a particle interacting with another particle or field.

2. How is zero cross section measured?

Zero cross section is typically measured using high-energy particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). Scientists can also use theoretical models and calculations to estimate zero cross section values.

3. What does a zero cross section of zero mean?

A zero cross section of zero means that the likelihood of a particular particle interaction occurring is essentially non-existent. This can happen if the particles involved have certain symmetries or properties that prevent them from interacting with each other.

4. Can zero cross section be negative?

No, zero cross section cannot be negative. It is a positive value that represents the probability of an interaction occurring. A negative value would indicate a negative probability, which is not physically possible.

5. Why is zero cross section important in particle physics?

Zero cross section is important in particle physics because it helps scientists understand the interactions between particles and fields. It can also provide insights into the fundamental properties of particles and the laws of physics that govern their behavior.