Zeno's Paradox Considered Federal Criminal Case

• Thread starter ohwilleke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary: However, it is still an open question whether or not space is actually discrete on a very small scale.
ohwilleke
Gold Member
This case:

http://pacer.ca10.uscourts.gov/pdf/03-2243.pdf

presents an interesting application of Zeno's paradox (i.e. how can you get from point a to point b despite the fact that you must cross half the remaining distance to get there an infinite number of times), in the context of an individual who fled an immigration check point in his car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to Quantum Physics space is discrete, not continuous. i.e. there are a certain finite number of intervals of space between a and b each of which is either crossed or not. Space is discrete on a very small scale, therefore, macroscopically speaking, space appears to be continuous.

Thus, Zeno's paradox does in fact not exist.

properphysicist,

Quantum mechanics says nothing at all about the discreteness of space.

- Warren

chroot, yes you're right, it talks about discrete energies of bound particles. I assumed there was something about space in there too.

perhaps I'm thinking of string theory. if that's also wrong then what does say space is discrete because I thought that was the case.

As far as I can tell there is no scientific evidence either way on the quantisation of spacetime. There are physicists who argue that the notion of 'points' and 'instants' is incoherent, sometimes citing Zeno. On the other hand the idea that spacetime is continuous also leads to problems. (How can something that is one thing also be many? How can something that is one thing have physical extension? etc.). Perhaps M-theory will solve this riddle, for it suggests that there is a sense in which spacetime does not exist. Maybe what Buddhists say about spacetime will turn out to be right after all. That'd be ironic.

properphysicist said:
According to Quantum Physics space is discrete, not continuous... Space is discrete on a very small scale, therefore, macroscopically speaking, space appears to be continuous...

You might be thinking of the Planck length, which is very small. Don't know if this helps.

Also, I think QM does suggest that particles can jump areas of space without ever being in between. eg. Tunnelling, quantum leaps. I think Zeno was wrong too.

Last edited:
properphysicist said:
perhaps I'm thinking of string theory. if that's also wrong then what does say space is discrete because I thought that was the case.

The closest I know to that assertion comes from Loop Quantum Gravity (an alternative to String Theory). It is a way of quantizing the gravitational field starting from the GR perspective. Within the LQG framework, it has been shown that area and volume should be quantized. They have even calculated the spectrum of the corresponding operators.

Related to Zeno's Paradox Considered Federal Criminal Case

1. What is Zeno's Paradox Considered Federal Criminal Case?

Zeno's Paradox Considered Federal Criminal Case is a hypothetical legal case that applies the concept of Zeno's Paradox, which states that motion is an illusion and that an object cannot move from one point to another because it must always travel half the distance first, to the federal criminal justice system.

2. What is the purpose of this hypothetical case?

The purpose of this hypothetical case is to explore the implications of Zeno's Paradox on the concept of criminal intent and the ability to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal trial.

3. How does Zeno's Paradox relate to the criminal justice system?

Zeno's Paradox raises questions about the ability to prove that a person had the specific intent to commit a crime, as it suggests that any action is actually a series of smaller actions and therefore, a person may not have the intent to commit the final action that is considered a crime.

4. What are some potential arguments for and against using Zeno's Paradox in a criminal case?

Some arguments for using Zeno's Paradox in a criminal case include the idea that it could provide a new perspective on the concept of criminal intent and may lead to more thoughtful and fair judgments. On the other hand, some may argue against using it as it is a theoretical concept and may not accurately reflect real-life situations.

5. How might this case impact the criminal justice system if it were to be applied in real-life cases?

If Zeno's Paradox were to be applied in real-life cases, it could potentially challenge the current standards of proof in criminal trials and lead to changes in the legal system. It may also lead to more complex and nuanced discussions about intent and the burden of proof in criminal cases.