Your favorite Eureka moment for proofs

In summary, the conversation revolved around Eureka moments and problem-solving experiences in the field of programming and computer science. One person shared their favorite moment of realizing the necessity of a definition in group structures, while another talked about finding a solution to a program that was slowing down due to memory copies. The conversation also touched on the P=NP question and the importance of balancing space and time in programming. The speakers also shared their experiences with optimizing databases and the challenges of finding the most efficient solution. Overall, the conversation highlighted the importance of constantly learning and adapting in the ever-changing world of technology.
DaveE said:
For me, I think it was when I understood the δ-ε proofs in calculus. Somehow, I wasn't impressed with the Limits I'd learned shortly before. This was the first time I understood that this could be a really useful and different approach. "Arbitrarily close" wasn't a concept I'd known before.
These proofs are fundamental for understanding a lot of mathematics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To me there are at least three types of Eureka moments. One is when one understands a proof of a known theorem. A second is when one tries to prove a known theorem on one's own. The third is when one tries to discover a new theorem. This third one can take the form of seeing a relationship that unifies different examples. In math this Eureka moment often does not take the form of a rigorous proof but more of an insight. The rigorous proof comes later.

This last type is not unlike the process of discovering a new theory in any scientific field. @king vitamin 's post #32 describes this. In my own experience I was once studying a conjecture about the groups of isometries of a class of manifolds. I spent a year trying to construct a counter example. Reams of newsprint later, I saw a relationship that explained why no counter example exists. It took a lot of effort afterwards to find a rigorous proof.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
My eureka moment happens every week here in PF homework section when I finally understand the hint given in post #2 of my thread after the helpers give another 50 hints

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, Charles Link, etotheipi and 1 other person