Young's Two Slit Experiment Question

In summary, the conversation discusses Young's Two Slit experiment and the equations for maximum and minimum conditions. These equations are said to be exact when the separation of the slits is much smaller than the distance between the slits and the screen. However, the confusion arises when parallel light rays are used and the path difference is dsinθ even if the distance between the slits and the screen is not much larger than the slit separation. This is due to the fact that the equations are derived using certain approximations. The actual rays do meet and are not parallel, but the equations provide a close approximation.
Von Neumann
Question:

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but it has been bothering me lately so I'll ask it anyhow.

In Young's Two Slit experiment the conditions for max and min are

[itex]dsin\theta=m\lambda[/itex] (max)

[itex]dsin\theta=(m+\frac{1}{2})\lambda[/itex] (min)

where m is an integer and d is the separation of the slits and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the lower ray makes with the horizontal.

If the separation d of the slits is much smaller than the distance between the slits and a screen (on which they meet at point), these equations are said to be exact.

However, and this is what confuses me, if parallel light rays are used, the path difference is [itex]dsin\theta[/itex] even if D is not much larger than d. (ie. placing the screen at the focal plane of a converging lens.) If the light rays are parallel, how could they ever focus at a point on the screen? By definition parallel lines never intersect.

I'm obviously misunderstanding something monumental, so I apologize in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is not stupid.:smile:
You just need to understand that those equations are derived making certain approximations. Check out my attachment.

Firstly, just see the two paths of light. Aren't they almost parallel? Well, not so parallel in my diagram but imagine a real life situation where d is of the order of micrometers and D is measured in meters. Got the picture? That's why people get dsinθ as the path difference. It is just an approximation. They actual rays do meet and are not parallel.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 433
The way it was worded by my professor (and his book) conveys the idea as though it is possible for parallel lines to intersect (which really was boggling my mind). I understand. Thanks!

Related to Young's Two Slit Experiment Question

1. What is Young's two slit experiment?

Young's two slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does Young's two slit experiment work?

In Young's two slit experiment, a beam of light is shined through two narrow slits, creating two coherent sources of light. These two light waves then interfere with each other, creating a pattern of constructive and destructive interference on a screen placed behind the slits. This pattern is known as an interference pattern.

3. What does Young's two slit experiment prove?

Young's two slit experiment proves the wave-like nature of light. The interference pattern observed on the screen is only possible if light behaves as a wave, rather than a particle. This experiment was crucial in the development of the wave theory of light.

4. What factors affect the interference pattern in Young's two slit experiment?

The interference pattern in Young's two slit experiment can be affected by several factors, such as the distance between the two slits, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Changes in these factors can alter the spacing of the interference fringes and the overall pattern observed on the screen.

5. What is the significance of Young's two slit experiment?

Young's two slit experiment is significant because it provided evidence for the wave theory of light and helped to establish the concept of superposition. It also laid the foundation for the understanding of interference and diffraction, which have many practical applications in fields such as optics and telecommunications.