Young modulus diameter question

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the thickness of a steel cable for a passenger lift. The formula for stress and the relationship between N and kg m s-2 are mentioned. The final calculation for the diameter is incorrect due to a discrepancy in the gravitational field given.
steb4242
I have started a home study course in mechanical engineering, I now realize that I should have started with a math’s course but any way I have a question that I could do with some help with. A designer wishes to calculate the thickness (diameter) of a steel cable for suspending a passenger lift.
mass=1200kg
σ=1100 MN ¯²
g=10 ms¯²

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi steb4242, welcome to PF. What does the symbol σ represent? What is the load on the cable? How about the stress?

Hi I have the formula for stress which is σ=F/A the figure given for that is 1100MN m¯² and the force which is 1200kg x 10ms¯² as the formula F= m x g
when i rearange the formula to A=F/σ A=12000Nms¯²/1100MN m¯²
i then get a bit lost as what to with the units to get a figure for the area
if i can get the area of the steel rope i can rearange the formula πr² r=√area/π
am i totally off the mark?

This is fine. What is the relationship between N and kg m s-2?

hi using 1kg=9.8N i have worked out a figure to 11.67 but i am not sure about the units

σ=12000kgms¯² x 9.8 = 117600 Nms¯²

σ=F/A rearranged A=F/σ

A=117600Nms¯²/1100NM m¯²
A=106.9
πr²=106.9 rearranged r = A/π then √answer
106.9/π =34.03
√34.03 = 5.83
r=5.83 x 2 =11.67
diameter = 11.67

Last edited:
steb4242 said:
1kg=9.8N

Not quite. A mass of 1 kg corresponds to a downward force of 9.8 N in a gravitational field of 9.8 m s-2 downward acceleration, because [itex]F=ma[/itex] and 1 N = 1 kg m s-2. But here you're given a gravitational field of 10 m s-2. Know what I mean?

Related to Young modulus diameter question

1. What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in a material under tension or compression.

2. How is Young's modulus calculated?

The Young's modulus of a material can be calculated by dividing the amount of stress applied to a material by the amount of strain it experiences. It is typically expressed in units of pascals (Pa) or gigapascals (GPa).

3. Does the diameter of a material affect its Young's modulus?

Yes, the diameter of a material can affect its Young's modulus. Generally, a larger diameter means a higher Young's modulus, as there is more material to resist deformation under stress. However, there are other factors that can also impact Young's modulus, such as the material's composition and structure.

4. How is Young's modulus related to a material's strength?

Young's modulus is not directly related to a material's strength. It is a measure of a material's stiffness, while strength is a measure of its ability to withstand stress before breaking. However, materials with high Young's moduli tend to also have high strengths.

5. Why is Young's modulus important in materials science?

Young's modulus is an important property in materials science because it helps to characterize the mechanical behavior of a material. It is used to determine a material's ability to resist deformation under stress, which is crucial in many engineering applications. It also provides insight into a material's structural integrity and potential uses.