Year 10 Work Exp: Questions for University Placement

In summary, a year 10 student from a grammar school in North Yorkshire is planning to apply for work experience at a university. They are interested in observing current research into theoretical or particle physics, but this is a difficult position to obtain for even college students. The expert suggests that until gaining sufficient mathematical expertise, a research position is unlikely. They recommend reading popular physics books and continuing to learn A.S. level physics. When applying for work experience, they suggest considering positions with academic staff or teaching staff and also express interest in observing higher level physics being taught.
Ryanzmw
Hey, I'm a year 10 student at a grammar school in North Yorkshire and am planning to apply for work experience at a Univerisity, but I have a few questions:
Who should I apply to e.g. Academic staff, teaching staff, Emeritus & Research Professors or research staff.
And just so you know I would like ideally to be in a placement where I would be able to observe current research into theoretical or particle physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be incredibly difficult to have a position in which you'd be able to consistently observe current particle physics research. That's a position that many undergrad college students would love to have. Most college students would only be able to have data type positions or something basically involving crunching preliminary numbers, so for a high school student to be able to observe current research...that seems very unlikely. You have to think about it like this: Any college student with interests in particle physics would love to hold a position like the one you described, yet many of them can't...what would give you an edge over such applicants?

Until you start gaining sufficient mathematical expertise, a research position is not going to happen. It's good that you have such a strong interest as a sophomore though. If I were you, I'd start reading popular physics books (Brian Greene, Michio Kaku, Stephen Hawking etc.)

I've read Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku and am currently reading Hyperspace by Michio Kaku. I'm also trying to learn A.S. level physics with few resources. But anyway where do you think I should apply then? I would also like to see higher level physics being taught.

Related to Year 10 Work Exp: Questions for University Placement

1. What is the purpose of Year 10 Work Experience?

Year 10 Work Experience is designed to give high school students a taste of the professional world and help them gain practical skills and knowledge in their desired field. It also allows them to explore different careers and build connections for future job opportunities.

2. How do I find a placement for Year 10 Work Experience?

Your school will typically provide you with a list of approved placement providers, but you can also reach out to companies or organizations directly to inquire about potential opportunities. It's important to start your search early and be persistent in your efforts.

3. Can I choose any type of placement for Year 10 Work Experience?

Your school may have specific guidelines or requirements for placements, so it's best to consult with your teacher or career advisor before making a decision. It's also important to choose a placement that aligns with your interests and goals.

4. How long does Year 10 Work Experience last?

The duration of Year 10 Work Experience can vary depending on your school's program, but it typically lasts for one or two weeks. Some schools may also offer extended placements for students who are interested and able to commit to a longer period of time.

5. Will I be paid for Year 10 Work Experience?

Year 10 Work Experience is usually unpaid, as the primary focus is on learning and gaining experience rather than earning money. However, some placements may offer a small stipend or cover any necessary expenses. It's important to clarify this with your placement provider before starting.