Y ICE doesnt melt when placed in microwave oven?

In summary, the statement "that ice didn't melt when placed in microwave" is true. The water molecules are not dipoles anymore, and this gives rise to heating. It just takes time for the ice to melt.
sphyics
i was dumbstruck :bugeye: after hearing the statement "that ice didn't melt when placed in microwave" from one of my friend, and its indeed true i checked by myself.And now I'm looking for the reason :)

Science news on Phys.org
sphyics said:
i was dumbstruck :bugeye: after hearing the statement "that ice didn't melt when placed in microwave" from one of my friend, and its indeed true i checked by myself.And now I'm looking for the reason :)

I guess the water molecules are not dipoles anymore, when bound within a crystal structure, via hydrogen bonding.

As far as I understand ,when in the liquid state the absorbed microwave energy is converted into molecular movement of the polar water molecules this giving rise to heating.In the solid state the molecules are strongly attracted to other molecules this severely restricting their movement.The ice will melt, it just takes time.

I just put in 4 icecubes on a plate at full power. They were completely melted after 90 seconds.

sphyics said:

I do know that the microwave radiation provides a resonant frequency for transitions in rotation state of the water molecules. I assume that interaction with the microwaves whips the water molecules into spinning motion. When such a spinning water molecule collides with another molecule the rotational kinetic energy converts to other kinetic energies. That is, energy is pumped into the assembly of water molecules in the form of rotational kinetic energy of individual molecules, and subsequently that energy becomes distributed over all the possible motions of the molecules; the water heats up.

I think that when water is in ice-form there is no transition available that resonates with the microwaves. Presumably only the water molecules on the surface of the ice are free enough to interact with the microwaves. So initially ice will absorb almost as little of the microwave's energy as, say, glass does.

As more and more water transits from ice to water form there is more and more opportunity to absorb energy from the microwaves.

Cleonis

This question is similar to "Why water does not boil when placed in microwave oven"?
It heats anyway and with time it melts and boils.

sphyics said:
Water has a rather high heat of fusion. It takes quite a bit of energy (333.55 kilojoules/kilogram) to convert ice at 0°C to liquid water at 0°C. The same amount of energy applied to liquid water initially at 0°C will raise the temperature of that water to about 80°C.

Bob_for_short said:
This question is similar to "Why water does not boil when placed in microwave oven"?

Quite right, heating water in a microwave is all fine and dandy until you take it out and put a spoon in.

Exploding water is acutally quite a sight.

xxChrisxx said:
Exploding water is acutally quite a sight.

That should be a quite pure water, distillated or so.

Bob_for_short said:
That should be a quite pure water, distillated or so.

And in a very smooth beaker

Bob_for_short said:
It heats anyway and with time it melts and boils.
Yes, but the recent discussion on superheating of water misses the point to some extent. The reason water does not melt or boil (easily) is because of the latent heats of fusion and vaporization of water. It takes about the same time to raise liquid water from 0°C to 100°C as it does to change ice at -40°C to liquid water at 0°C, and it takes even longer (a lot longer) to completely boil liquid water that is already at 100°C.

This is the tricky thing about people not realising the difference between heat and temperature.

a t-s diagram would help... (maybe)??

Related to Y ICE doesnt melt when placed in microwave oven?

1. Why doesn't ice melt when placed in a microwave oven?

Ice does not melt when placed in a microwave oven because microwaves work by exciting the water molecules in food to create heat. Since ice is mostly made up of water molecules, it does not absorb the microwaves and therefore does not get heated up enough to melt.

2. Can ice be melted in a microwave oven?

Yes, ice can be melted in a microwave oven by first breaking it into smaller pieces and then microwaving it in short intervals. However, it is not recommended to use a microwave for melting large quantities of ice as it can damage the appliance.

3. Is it safe to put ice in a microwave oven?

It is generally safe to put ice in a microwave oven as it will not cause any harm to the appliance. However, it is important to note that microwaving ice can cause it to heat up unevenly and may result in hot spots that can lead to burns. It is best to use a container with a lid to prevent any splattering and to monitor the ice closely while microwaving.

4. Why does the ice just get warm in the microwave instead of melting?

As mentioned earlier, ice does not melt in a microwave because it does not absorb the microwaves. Instead, the microwaves heat up the air around the ice, causing it to warm up. This can create a layer of warm air around the ice, preventing it from melting.

5. Is there a way to melt ice quickly in a microwave oven?

Yes, there are a few ways to melt ice quickly in a microwave oven. One method is to place the ice in a microwave-safe container and heat it for short intervals, stirring in between. Another method is to add a small amount of water to the ice to help conduct the heat and accelerate the melting process. However, it is important to be cautious and monitor the ice closely to avoid any accidents.