Y-component of Electrostatic Force

In summary, the problem involved calculating the X, Y, and magnitude force between two charges using the 2-D Coulomb's law for line charges. A software called MAXWELL was used to plot the charges, with the source charge having a radius of 5mm and the probe charge having a radius of 0.5mm, both lying on the x-axis. The software gave results for the X and Y components of force, with the Y component being very close to zero. The question arose whether the Y component should be considered zero or if it was a result of potential errors in the calculation.
vg19

Homework Statement

Calculate the X, Y, and magnitude force between the two charges. Compare to the computer simulation results.

Homework Equations

Do not forget that this is a 2-D problem. Use the 2-D Coulomb’s law for line charges.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically we used a software called MAXWELL to plot 2 charges, 1 source and 1 probe charge. The source had a charge of 1 x 10^-12 C and probe -1 x 10^-13 C. The source charge had a radius of 5mm, while the probe had a radius of 0.5mm and the distance between them (Centre to centre) is 10mm. Both charges lie on the x-axis.

The software gave the following results,
Fx = -1.8E-13
Fy= 3.1E-16
Fmag =1.8E-13
Angle=180

I do know how to calculate the x-component, however I am confused on the y component. If both charges lie on the x-axis, wouldn't there only be an x-component of Force? How would I go about calculating it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tired and probably wrong...

Well, I'm very tired at the moment (late night doing EE homework!) but offhand I would say you are correct, if both charges lie on the x-axis, the y component should be zero. It is possible that the result from your computer simulation is a "virtual" zero, i.e. errors in the calculation introduced from using a finite number of bits in base 2 means that the answer is not EXACTLY zero, but is extremely close... remember that your y-component that you found is 1/1000th of the X component (approx.) You can see this in MATLAB quite often as well, when an answer of say 1E-60 is considered a 0 in many situations. Sorry if I am totally off base here!

Regards,
Tristan Jones

for your question. In this case, the y-component of the electrostatic force refers to the force acting in the y-direction, even though both charges may lie on the x-axis. This is because the charges still have a separation in the y-direction, and thus there will be a force acting in that direction. To calculate the y-component of the force, you can use the 2-D Coulomb's law for line charges, which takes into account the separation in both the x and y directions. You can then compare your calculated result to the computer simulation results to check for accuracy.

Related to Y-component of Electrostatic Force

What is the Y-component of Electrostatic Force?

The Y-component of Electrostatic Force is the component of the electrostatic force that acts in the vertical direction on a charged particle in an electric field. It is perpendicular to the X-component, which acts in the horizontal direction.

How is the Y-component of Electrostatic Force calculated?

The Y-component of Electrostatic Force is calculated using the formula Fy = qEsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field strength, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the direction of the Y-component.

What is the direction of the Y-component of Electrostatic Force?

The direction of the Y-component of Electrostatic Force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field. If the particle is positively charged, the Y-component will be in the same direction as the electric field. If the particle is negatively charged, the Y-component will be in the opposite direction of the electric field.

What is the significance of the Y-component of Electrostatic Force?

The Y-component of Electrostatic Force is important in understanding the motion of charged particles in an electric field. It helps determine the direction in which the particle will move and can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of the particle.

How does the Y-component of Electrostatic Force relate to other components of force?

The Y-component of Electrostatic Force is one of the three components of the total electrostatic force, along with the X-component and the Z-component. Together, these components make up the total electrostatic force acting on a charged particle in an electric field.