Vertical motion through an electric field

In summary: Because of this, the work done is zero, regardless of the charges involved. The distance traveled does not affect the work done in this case.
Ibby321
Homework Statement
I’ve included a picture in the attempted solutions section because there is a diagram.
Relevant Equations
I’m not sure which is relevant but these are all the ones I can think of:

ΔU = W = Fdcosθ = Fr = (kQq)/r

ΔV = Vb - Va = Wab/q0

W = qΔV = qEr

V = kQ/r

F = qE

E = kq/r2
8A219086-0D3E-4073-ACD5-9A19AB1C25B4.jpeg

I know that the answer is 0 J (no NET work was done) because there is symmetry to the problem and this symmetry comes from the fact that the direction of force changes, BUT I don’t know why the force changes (I have an idea; TBD below in #4). When I did this problem I thought I could find the voltage.

q = 1μC = 10^(-6) C

Va = k(5C)/(-5m)

Vb = k(5C)/(5m)

ΔV = Vb - Va = 1.798*10^10

Wab = ΔV/q = none of the answers

Then I thought maybe it has to do with the distance the charge traveled, so I guessed 10 J since the negative charge traveled 10 units. But that was wrong too.

I actually have many questions because I don’t have much practice with this. The question doesn’t mention anything about the 2 positive charges so I’m wondering the following:

1. I’m assuming that the two big, positive charges are to be considered as stationary source charges. Is that correct?

2. Is the fact that both charges are +5C (they are like charges of the same magnitude) significant to the symmetry of this problem? The following questions are meant as examples to explain the previous question, they don’t have to be answered: For example, if both charges are positive but one is bigger than the other (like one is +5C and the other is +3C), is there still no net work? Or if they were unlike charges of equal magnitude (for example, one is +5C and the other is -5C)? Or unlike charges of unequal magnitudes?

3. There is no x-axis but it looks like the positive charges are equidistant on the x-axis (imagining an x-axis, the one on the right is at the coordinates x,0 and the one on the left is at -x,0). Is this important to the symmetry of the problem? And if it is, am I correct?

4. Based on the explanation, I feel like I can extrapolate to vertical motion of a test charge in general. If a test charge moves vertically from y = -a to y = a (or from y = a to y = -a) between two source charges, the net work will always be zero regardless of the charges (positive or negative test charge, like or unlike test charges). The reason I say that is this: opposite charges attract, like charges repel. When the negative charge moved from y = -5 to y = 0 it was moving towards the positive source charges, which is natural behavior. Work is related to EPE, so when a negative charge moves toward a positive charge, that means the EPE is increasingly negative and that means work is negative. However when the negative charge moves from y = 0 to y = 5, it moves the same distance away from the positive source charges, which is unnatural behavior and that means a positive quantity of work is required to move it away (also EPE is relevant here). Couldn’t this logic be applied to a positive test charge moving between two positive source charges? I would think the only difference is from y = -5 to y = 0 the work would be positive and from y = 0 to y = 5, work would be positive. Generally when a test charge is moving vertically (from y = a to y = -a) and the source charges are placed horizontally, it will be moving towards the charges and then away in equal distances, which means the quantity of work cancel out. I’m not sure if any of this is right and I know it’s a lot but I’m trying here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ibby321 said:
1. I’m assuming that the two big, positive charges are to be considered as stationary source charges. Is that correct?

2. Is the fact that both charges are +5C (they are like charges of the same magnitude) significant to the symmetry of this problem?

3. There is no x-axis but it looks like the positive charges are equidistant on the x-axis (imagining an x-axis, the one on the right is at the coordinates x,0 and the one on the left is at -x,0). Is this important to the symmetry of the problem? And if it is, am I correct?

4. Based on the explanation, I feel like I can extrapolate to vertical motion of a test charge in general. If a test charge moves vertically from y = -a to y = a (or from y = a to y = -a) between two source charges, the net work will always be zero regardless of the charges (positive or negative test charge, like or unlike test charges).
1) Yes, 2) yes, 3) yes, 4) yes

If the system has the same physical configuration at the beginning and end, then it must have the same potential energy. This is why the appeal to symmetry is valid.

Likes Ibby321

1. What is vertical motion through an electric field?

Vertical motion through an electric field refers to the movement of charged particles in a vertical direction when exposed to an electric field. This motion is caused by the interaction between the electric field and the electric charge of the particles.

2. What factors affect the vertical motion of charged particles in an electric field?

The vertical motion of charged particles in an electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the mass and charge of the particles, and the angle at which the particles enter the field. The direction of the electric field also plays a role in the motion.

3. How does the direction of the electric field affect vertical motion?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force exerted on the charged particles. If the electric field is directed upwards, the particles will experience an upward force, causing them to move in a vertical direction. If the electric field is directed downwards, the particles will experience a downward force and move in the opposite direction.

4. Can the vertical motion of charged particles be controlled in an electric field?

Yes, the vertical motion of charged particles in an electric field can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the electric field. By changing these factors, the force exerted on the particles can be altered, resulting in a change in their vertical motion.

5. How is vertical motion through an electric field used in scientific research?

Vertical motion through an electric field is used in various scientific research fields, such as particle physics and plasma physics. It is also used in practical applications, such as in particle accelerators and mass spectrometers, to manipulate and analyze charged particles. Additionally, understanding this phenomenon is crucial in the development of new technologies, such as electric propulsion systems for spacecraft.