Xi decay quarks conserved but flavour not conserved

In summary, the conversation is discussing the decay of the Xi particle into two other particles, which does not conserve flavor but does conserve quark numbers. The long lifetime of the Xi particle suggests potential issues with strong interaction, and the Ξ- particle is not dds but dss, indicating weak decay due to the violation of strangeness conservation.
Howlin
Hi

I have been looking into particle physics and i came across this question but i can not find the answer,

the quetsion is as follows:

the xi particle decays into the following
[itex]\Xi -> \wedge + \Pi^{-}[/itex]
dds -> sud + [itex]\overline{u}d [/itex]
the quark numbers are conserved but the flavours are not conserved.

I cannot understand why the flavours are not conserved. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
the flavours are not conserved.
Where does that come from?
Looks conserved to me.

The long lifetime (~10-10s) is suspicious.

It says on it why isn't it conserved and is it decayed by strong or weak forces.
I would say weak because flavours are not conserved but by looking at it, it seems to be conserved

Well, it is easy to draw a diagram for the strong interaction.

The long lifetime indicates that those diagrams are problematic in terms of parity, or cancel each other partially, or something else.

Edit @Bill_K's post: Oh, that explains everything. And ##\Sigma^-## with dds is too light to decay into ##\Lambda + \pi##

Attachments

• decay.jpg
    decay.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
The Ξ- (aka cascade particle) is not dds, it's dss. The decay is weak because it does not conserve strangeness.

Related to Xi decay quarks conserved but flavour not conserved

1. What is a Xi decay quark?

A Xi decay quark is a type of quark that is found in the decay of a Xi baryon, a composite particle made up of three quarks. It is characterized by its mass and charge, and is one of the six known types of quarks in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How are Xi decay quarks conserved?

Xi decay quarks are conserved through the fundamental principle of conservation of energy and momentum. This means that the total amount of energy and momentum of the decay products must equal the energy and momentum of the initial particle. In other words, the Xi decay quarks are not created or destroyed, but rather transformed into other particles during the decay process.

3. Why is flavour not conserved in Xi decay quarks?

Flavour is a property of quarks that distinguishes them from each other, and it is not conserved in Xi decay quarks because the decay process involves the transformation of one type of quark into another. This is because the strong nuclear force, which holds quarks together, does not distinguish between different flavours of quarks. Therefore, the flavour of the initial Xi decay quark may change during the decay process.

4. How is the non-conservation of flavour in Xi decay quarks explained?

The non-conservation of flavour in Xi decay quarks is explained by the process of quark mixing, also known as quark flavor oscillation. This is a phenomenon in which different types of quarks can transform into each other through the weak nuclear force, resulting in the non-conservation of flavour in certain decay processes, such as Xi decay. This phenomenon is described by the Cabibbo-Kobayashi-Maskawa (CKM) matrix in the Standard Model.

5. What are the implications of non-conservation of flavour in Xi decay quarks?

The non-conservation of flavour in Xi decay quarks has important implications for our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. It helps us to better understand the behavior of quarks and the strong nuclear force, as well as the phenomenon of quark mixing. Furthermore, the non-conservation of flavour in Xi decay quarks is a key aspect in the study of CP-violation, which is a violation of the symmetry between matter and antimatter and a major area of research in particle physics.