How Do Fermion Vertices Change in the Two Higgs Doublet Model Type III?

• I
  • Thread starter andr Z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary: Your name]In summary, the two models being discussed are the Standard Model (SM) and the Two Higgs Doublet Model (2HDM). The decay width of the Higgs boson in the SM is calculated using the vertex of interaction between the Higgs and fermions, while in the 2HDM, the Lagrangian for the quark sector is used. The decay widths are different in the two models due to the different interactions between the Higgs and other particles. To calculate the decay width in the 2HDM, one can follow the steps outlined in the paper "Flavor Changing Neutral Scalar Currents at μ+μ− Colliders" by David Atwood, Laura Reina, and Amar
andr Z
TL;DR Summary
In the standard model, the mathematical expression for the Higgs decay width is well known. However, in the extended model known as 2HDM (Two Higgs Doublet Model) ,I study type III, there are 5 new fields: two neutral, one pseudo-scalar and two charged. If I want to calculate the decay width for the higgs h, does the mathematical expression only change at the vertices?
In the Standard model the decay width for Higgs into fermion-antifermion pairs is
$$ \Gamma_{fi}=\frac{\mathrm{N}_{C}}{8\pi}\frac{m_{f}^{2}}{\nu^{2}}m_{\mathcal{H}}\left [ 1-\frac{4m_{f}^{2}}{m_{\mathcal{H}}^{2}} \right ]^{3/2}$$
where the vertex of interaction between the Higgs and the fermions is ##-i\frac{m_{f}}{\nu}##

On the other hand, in the 2HDM the Lagrangian that describes the model for the quark sector is

$$
-\mathcal{L}=\overline{\mathrm{U}}M_{U}^{diag}\mathrm{U}+\overline{\mathrm{D}}M_{D}^{diag}\mathrm{D}+\frac{\mathrm{g}}{2M_{\mathrm{W}}}
\left [ \overline{\mathrm{U}}M_{U}^{diag}\mathrm{U}+\overline{\mathrm{D}}M_{D}^{diag}\mathrm{D} \right ]\left ( H^{0}\cos{\alpha}-h^{0}\sin{\alpha} \right )\nonumber\\+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left [ \overline{\mathrm{U}}\xi^{U}\mathrm{U}+\overline{\mathrm{D}}\xi^{D}\mathrm{D} \right ]\left ( H^{0}\sin{\alpha}+h^{0}\cos{\alpha} \right )+i\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}A^{0}\left [ \overline{\mathrm{D}}\xi^{D}\gamma_{5}\mathrm{D}-\overline{\mathrm{U}}\xi^{U}\gamma_{5}\mathrm{U} \right ]\nonumber\\+H^{+}\overline{\mathrm{U}}\left [ V\xi^{D}\gamma_{R}-\xi^{U}V\gamma_{L} \right ]\mathrm{D}+\text{Goldstone's interactions}+h.c.
$$
with: ##h^{0},\,H^{0}## (scalars), ##A^{0}## (pseudo-scalar) and ##H^{\pm}## (charged). ##\xi^{U,D}## are flavor change matrices
If i want to calculate the decay width of the higgs then i must use the vertex of interaction for this higgs with the quarks, but I feel like I'm forgetting something.
Following the paper "Flavor Changing Neutral Scalar Currents at μ+μ− Colliders" by David Atwood, Laura Reina and Amarjit Soni the following expressions are reached for the decay width
1.PNG

and it is these expressions that I cannot demonstrate. Could someone tell me how should I proceed?.
Sorry for my terrible english.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I can understand your confusion and I am happy to help clarify the situation for you.

First of all, let me explain the difference between the Standard Model (SM) and the Two Higgs Doublet Model (2HDM). The SM is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It includes a particle called the Higgs boson, which gives mass to the other particles. On the other hand, the 2HDM is an extension of the SM that introduces an additional Higgs doublet, resulting in more Higgs bosons and different interactions between the Higgs and other particles.

Now, to calculate the decay width of the Higgs boson in the 2HDM, you need to use the vertex of interaction between the Higgs and the quarks as given in the Lagrangian you mentioned. This is because the decay width is a measure of the strength of the interaction between the Higgs and the particles it decays into. In the 2HDM, this interaction is different from that in the SM, which is why the decay widths are different.

To calculate the decay width, you can follow the steps outlined in the paper you mentioned. First, you need to find the Feynman diagrams that contribute to the decay of the Higgs boson into fermion-antifermion pairs in the 2HDM. Then, using the Feynman rules, you can calculate the amplitude for each diagram. Finally, you can use the amplitude to calculate the decay width using the formula given in the paper.

I hope this helps to answer your question. If you have any further doubts, please feel free to ask. And don't worry about your English, it is perfectly understandable.