X-ray's can cause demagnetization?

• Thread starter Dash-IQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary: Not everything made out of, say, iron, is a magnet.But it may become magnetized.Being magnetized is a stable state of the material.Being non-magnetized is another stable state.There are many combinations of magnetic moments that could lead to either state.
Dash-IQ
I found this my mistake, it's amazing how for a very short period of time, Xray(and other lasers) can demagnetize a ferromagnets. This is still under research, but how can this be? Can anyone share what they know about this?
Do you all think this is an effective method?
Could it be more efficient than all the others?

Sources:
1, 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
...how can this be?
You know that a strong EM field can be used to demagnetize something right?
You know that light is electromagnetism right?

Do you all think this is an effective method?
Define "effective"? It works doesn't it?

Could it be more efficient than all the others?
... that would depend on the magnet and how the phenomenon were being used.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
You know that a strong EM field can be used to demagnetize something right?
You know that light is electromagnetism right?

Define "effective"? It works doesn't it?

... that would depend on the magnet and how the phenomenon were being used.

Yes I knew light was a product of both magnetic&electric field, but never knew it could do that... thanks.

Last edited:
It's a matter of making the connection - the details will be in the paper.

The way to think of it is: electric and magnetic fields are each manifestations of an overall electromagnetic field - what you see depends on how you look at it.

I could not picture it...
What does a photon do to a moment exactly? Increases the energy thus causing demagnetization or...?
This is pretty new and weird for me to understand.

A magnetic dipole in an uneven magnetic field experiences a torque - so it's orientation can change.
This is one way you make ferromagnets. Do you know how things become magnetized to start with?

Thus the incoming light, if energetic enough, can knock a magnetic dipole moment into a new orientation.
If the new orientation is random, then a previously magnetized material will lose it's magnetization.

Simon Bridge said:
Do you know how things become magnetized to start with?
Yes.

Simon Bridge said:
Thus the incoming light, if energetic enough, can knock a magnetic dipole moment into a new orientation.
If the new orientation is random, then a previously magnetized material will lose it's magnetization.

I see the connection here, a photon would excite the dipole moment, since it was previously aligned it has a low energy state.

I don't know about "excite" - there would be several stable configurations for the magnetic dipoles in a ferro-magnet.

Simon Bridge said:
I don't know about "excite" - there would be several stable configurations for the magnetic dipoles in a ferro-magnet.

Giving it more energy - is this the right term? :-p
What seven stable configurations?

What seven stable configurations?
... I didn't count them.
There would be a stable configuration in which the ferromaterial was not magnetized for instance.

There are seveneral of them, perhaps?

Simon Bridge said:
... I didn't count them.
There would be a stable configuration in which the ferromaterial was not magnetized for instance.

I'm sorry but your giving me puzzles here and I have no idea what you mean...

Dash-IQ said:
I'm sorry but your giving me puzzles here and I have no idea what you mean...

Not everything made out of, say, iron, is a magnet.
But it may become magnetized.
Being magnetized is a stable state of the material.
Being non-magnetized is another stable state.
There are many combinations of magnetic moments that could lead to either state.
The details depend on the material.

Related to X-ray's can cause demagnetization?

1. What is demagnetization in relation to X-rays?

Demagnetization refers to the decrease in magnetic properties of a material caused by exposure to X-rays. This can result in a loss of magnetism or a change in the direction of magnetization.

2. How do X-rays cause demagnetization?

X-rays have high energy and are able to penetrate through materials, causing the atoms in the material to become excited. This can disrupt the alignment of magnetic domains, leading to demagnetization.

3. Can all materials be demagnetized by X-rays?

Not all materials are susceptible to demagnetization by X-rays. Materials with a high coercivity, such as permanent magnets, are less likely to be affected. However, materials with low coercivity, such as soft magnetic materials, are more vulnerable to demagnetization by X-rays.

4. Is demagnetization caused by X-rays permanent?

In most cases, demagnetization caused by X-rays is not permanent. Once the material is removed from the source of X-rays, it may regain its magnetic properties over time. However, repeated exposure to X-rays can lead to permanent demagnetization.

5. How can demagnetization caused by X-rays be prevented?

To prevent demagnetization from X-rays, shielding materials can be used to block or reduce the exposure to X-rays. Additionally, using materials with high coercivity or changing the direction of magnetization can also help prevent demagnetization.