X-ray structure analysis question

In summary, chemists were unable to synthesize CaCl using a reduction process because they got CaClH instead. This was because the X-ray technique used to determine the structure of the compound was not suitable for detecting hydrogen.
Trave11er
Hello everyone!

I have met such a curious thing: When chemists tried to synthesize CaCl by reducing CaCl2 with H2 they got CaClH instead, but the structure of a compound was determined using X-ray structure analysis which is not suitable for determining the position of light elemnts like hydrogen, thus the presence of hydrogen was missed and CaClH was thought to be a CaCl for a long time. Can anybody explain, why this X-ray technique cannot be applied to light atoms? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
These days XRD is routinely used by chemists for solving the structure of crystalline compounds and these compounds contains H atoms. So i think it is not difficult to detect H atoms in XRD. But one reason coming to my mind is...H has low electron density around nucleus so less interection of X-ray photons with electrons..so may be difficult to detect.

Well, remember what you're measuring with XRD - electronic density.
Hydrogen atoms only have a single electron, (okay, two here) so they're small and not very visible using XRD. It depends on what kind of resolution you have (which in turn is dependent on experimental factors, such as the purity of your crystal)

Now in this specific case, you've got a chlorine atom (very electronegative, lots of electronic density) with a tiny hydrogen next to it, so you're basically just looking for a slight 'bump' on the chlorine density rather than a well-defined sphere, so you'd need pretty good resolution to see it.

Although for an inorganic substance (nice crystals) I'd think the resolution today would usually be good enough. Was this an old experiment? (60s-70s?) I do know that for protein structures (where resolution is much lower) that they often can't really distinguish between OH and Cl, for instance.

Thank you for such comprhensive explanation - I really appreciate it and learned much new from it. The experiment was carried even earlier - 1953 ^).

Related to X-ray structure analysis question

1. How does X-ray structure analysis work?

X-ray structure analysis involves bombarding a crystal with X-rays and recording the diffraction pattern produced. The diffraction pattern is then analyzed to determine the arrangement of atoms in the crystal and produce a 3D model of its structure.

2. What types of materials can be analyzed using X-ray structure analysis?

X-ray structure analysis can be used to analyze a wide range of materials, including crystals, proteins, and small molecules. It is particularly useful for determining the structures of organic and inorganic compounds.

3. What is the resolution of X-ray structure analysis?

The resolution of X-ray structure analysis varies depending on the quality of the diffraction pattern and the type of X-ray source used. Generally, resolutions in the range of 0.1 to 0.5 angstroms (Å) can be achieved.

4. What is the role of X-ray crystallography in drug discovery?

X-ray crystallography is an essential tool in drug discovery as it allows scientists to determine the 3D structure of proteins and other biomolecules involved in disease pathways. This information is crucial in designing drugs that can interact with these molecules and potentially treat diseases.

5. Are there any limitations to X-ray structure analysis?

One limitation of X-ray structure analysis is that it requires the sample to be in crystalline form, which can be challenging for certain types of molecules or materials. Additionally, the quality of the diffraction pattern can be affected by factors such as sample purity and crystal size, which can limit the resolution of the final structure.