X-ray Fluorescence angle question.

In summary, the student was trying to find out what angle would produce the best results for X-Ray fluorescence. He was not sure if it was Bragg Diffraction or not, but he is going to ask the student doing the experiment about it.
Yondaime5685
First of all, I'm not the one doing this experiment. I've just finished my first year in college and I'm sort of just helping all the upper-level with their research and whatnot. So my knowledge is very limited.

With that being said, one of those student is doing X-ray Fluorescence. He was just wondering if there is an "optimal" angle to which the x-ray could be pointed to get the best results.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/28/Dmedxrfschematic.jpg/800px-Dmedxrfschematic.jpg

Here is a pic from wiki which sort of shows the basic set up. He was thinking maybe a 120 degree angle would be good or maybe 90 degrees (Like in the picture).

Bear in mind that he didn't really ask me to do research or anything. I just wanted to find out so he didn't have to take the time to figure it out by trial and error.

Please forgive any terms I may have messed up on. If you need any more information just ask and I'll try to find out. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Are you sure this was for X-Ray fluorescence, and not Bragg Diffraction?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bragg_diffraction

If it is indeed Bragg diffraction, the angle is supposed to be varied. If not, unfortunately, I have nothing to add, save for the basic law of reflection: angle of incidence is the same as the angle of reflection (when measured from the normal to the reflecting surface).

^ Thanks for that. Sorry for the late reply. I was really busy this weekend.

I'll ask him about it today and will get back to you. I'm pretty sure he told me that he was doing X-Ray Fluorescence. I'm sure he knows about the basic laws of reflection. I think the question was more what angle is best so the detector "picks" up the "bounce" from the sample the "clearest". (I used quoted words since I can't think of any technical names for them. So I hope that clarifies the question more.)

Now about the Bragg Diffraction, he never mentioned it. So I'm going to assume that is not what he is doing. Nevertheless, I will ask him more about it and hopefully later on today I can get you more details.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Related to X-ray Fluorescence angle question.

1. What is X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) angle?

X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) angle refers to the angle at which the X-rays are directed onto the sample being analyzed. It is an important parameter in XRF analysis as it affects the accuracy and precision of the results.

2. How does XRF angle affect the analysis?

The XRF angle affects the analysis by determining the depth from which the X-rays are emitted from the sample. Different angles can result in different depths of analysis, which can lead to variations in the measured elemental concentrations.

3. What is the optimal XRF angle for analysis?

The optimal XRF angle for analysis depends on several factors such as the sample composition, thickness, and the elements being analyzed. Generally, a 45-degree angle is commonly used as it provides a good compromise between sensitivity and depth of analysis.

4. Can changing the XRF angle affect the results?

Yes, changing the XRF angle can affect the results. As mentioned earlier, different angles can result in different depths of analysis, which can lead to variations in the measured elemental concentrations. It is important to keep the XRF angle consistent for accurate and precise results.

5. Are there any limitations to XRF angle analysis?

Yes, there are limitations to XRF angle analysis. The depth of analysis is limited by the angle and energy of the X-rays, which may not be suitable for samples with varying thicknesses. Additionally, the angle may also affect the detection of light elements, making it less sensitive for their analysis.