Wrong science information everywhere?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video titled "Dark Matter Mystery Finally Solved, and It's Simple?!" and the issue of non-physicists spreading incorrect or misunderstood information in popular science videos. The original poster notes that the video is the first result when searching for dark matter on YouTube, and questions the reliability of the information presented. They also mention that YouTube's search algorithm often prioritizes videos from the user's country, but this particular video is not from their country. The conversation ends with the opinion that the video is not necessarily spreading wrong information, but is sensationalizing scientific research.
QFTIsGood
I just found this video: with the name "Dark Matter Mystery Finally Solved, and It's Simple?!" (it has more than 7000likes and about 75 dislikes) . The problem here is that it's the first video that pops out when you write Dark Matter in YT search and it's not the only one of this type.
Recently I've seen hundreds of videos like this where people with 0 understanding in Physics talk about speculative ideas or ideas that they didn't even understand.
I think the idea of real physicists popularizing science is good but i think that people that are not physicist should not wave hands and advertise wrong/unproven/misunderstood information.

What do you think about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's okay, Elliott Morgan attended the University of Florida, graduating in 2009 with his Bachelor of Science in Zoology. We can trust him on his reputable credentials of understanding dark matter knowledge

QFTIsGood said:
I just found this video: with the name "Dark Matter Mystery Finally Solved, and It's Simple?!" (it has more than 7000likes and about 75 dislikes) . The problem here is that it's the first video that pops out when you write Dark Matter in YT search and it's not the only one of this type.
Recently I've seen hundreds of videos like this where people with 0 understanding in Physics talk about speculative ideas or ideas that they didn't even understand.
I think the idea of real physicists popularizing science is good but i think that people that are not physicist should not wave hands and advertise wrong/unproven/misunderstood information.

What do you think about this?

It is not the first video that pops out when I write Dark matter in YouTube. Perhaps you've been searching for this kind of videos for a while? YouTube is google, so they probably use the same algorithms, or something similar atleast.

Last edited by a moderator:
No actually I've tried to clear all history/cookies and the result is still the same it's the first video. I am aware that they use this kind of "smart" search algorithms which depend on previews searches but I think it's not the case here.
What I've also noticed is that YT put videos from my country first (based on IP) always although this video is certainly not from my country so i don't know.
In either case I was just wondering what do you think about this kind of videos. In this forum there are a lot of physicists/people that take physics seriously so I was wondering what is their opinion about this kind of things.

It is the first one that pops up for me, and I rarely look at physics stuff these days.

Doesn't seem like wrong information per se. Just two smarmy d****bags over sensationalizing somebody's research. Could be worse. Could be Michiu Kaku.

Related to Wrong science information everywhere?

1. What is wrong science information?

Wrong science information refers to incorrect or inaccurate facts, data, or theories that are presented as scientific information. This misinformation can be found in various sources such as social media, news articles, and even educational materials.

2. How does wrong science information spread?

Wrong science information can spread through various means such as word of mouth, social media platforms, and news outlets. It can also be perpetuated by individuals who do not fact-check or verify the information before sharing it. In some cases, it may also be intentionally spread by those with an agenda or bias.

3. What are the consequences of wrong science information?

The consequences of wrong science information can be significant and far-reaching. It can mislead the public, create confusion, and even harm individuals if it relates to health or safety. It can also damage the credibility of the scientific community and hinder progress in research and innovation.

4. How can we identify wrong science information?

There are several ways to identify wrong science information. One way is to check the source of the information and see if it is from a reputable and credible scientific organization or expert. Another way is to fact-check the information using reliable sources and looking for multiple sources to verify the information.

5. What can we do to combat wrong science information?

To combat wrong science information, it is essential to promote scientific literacy and critical thinking skills. This includes educating individuals on how to identify and evaluate credible sources of information. It is also crucial for scientists and experts to actively communicate and engage with the public to debunk misinformation and provide accurate information.