Writing Volume as a Function of Height for an Open Box

So for this problem, the height is x, the length and width are both (24-2x) (since it's a square base), and the volume is V = (24-2x)(24-2x)(x). Simplify this expression to get your volume function in terms of x, and then determine the domain by considering what values of x make sense in this context.In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum volume of an open box made from a square piece of material by cutting equal squares from the corners and turning up the sides. The table shows the volumes for various heights, and the task is to determine the volume function and its domain. The volume function is V = (24-2x)(24
M83

Homework Statement

An open box of maximum volume is to be made from a square piece of material 24 centimeters on a side (24-2x) by cutting equal squares from the corners and turning up the sides. The table shows the volumes V (in cubic centimeters) of the box for various heights, x (in centimeters).

(x, V): (1,484), (2,800), (3,972), (4,1024), (5,980), (6,864)

If V is a function of x, write the function and determine its domain.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stuck on this. I tried recreating the table values by using the volume of a cube formula, but that didn't work. If anyone could give me a nudge in the right direction that would be helpful, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
M83 said:

Homework Statement

An open box of maximum volume is to be made from a square piece of material 24 centimeters on a side (24-2x) by cutting equal squares from the corners and turning up the sides. The table shows the volumes V (in cubic centimeters) of the box for various heights, x (in centimeters).

(x, V): (1,484), (2,800), (3,972), (4,1024), (5,980), (6,864)

If V is a function of x, write the function and determine its domain.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stuck on this. I tried recreating the table values by using the volume of a cube formula, but that didn't work. If anyone could give me a nudge in the right direction that would be helpful, thanks.
What cubic function do you get for the volume of the box ?

The problem tells you that the base is a square that has side length 24- 2x. What is the area of the base? How do you go from "area of base" to "volume"?

HallsofIvy said:
The problem tells you that the base is a square that has side length 24- 2x. What is the area of the base?

For a square the area would be the square of the side length.

A= (24-2x)(24-2x)
= 576-48x-48x+4x²
= 4x²-96x+576

HallsofIvy said:
How do you go from "area of base" to "volume"?

Would you cube the side length?

M83 said:
For a square the area would be the square of the side length.

A= (24-2x)(24-2x)
= 576-48x-48x+4x²
= 4x²-96x+576

Would you cube the side length?

Why on Earth would you do that? If I have a box whose base has area 10 m2 and whose height (= sides) are 2 m, what is the volume (in units of m3)?

RGV

M83 said:
I'm completely stuck on this. I tried recreating the table values by using the volume of a cube formula, but that didn't work.

That's because you don't have a cube to begin with, you have a rectangular prism ("box"). You do know that the volume of a rectangular prism is [itex]V = lwh[/itex] (l = length, w = width, h = height), right?

Related to Writing Volume as a Function of Height for an Open Box

1. What is an open box?

An open box is a three-dimensional shape that has a top and bottom surface, but the sides are left open.

2. How is volume calculated for an open box?

The volume of an open box can be calculated by multiplying the height, length, and width of the box.

3. What is the formula for writing volume as a function of height for an open box?

The formula for writing volume as a function of height for an open box is V(h) = h * l * w, where V is the volume, h is the height, l is the length, and w is the width.

4. What is the purpose of writing volume as a function of height for an open box?

Writing volume as a function of height for an open box allows us to determine the volume of the box at any given height, rather than just at a specific height.

5. Can the height of an open box affect its volume?

Yes, the height of an open box directly affects its volume. As the height increases, the volume of the box will also increase, and vice versa.