How Do You Formulate a Polynomial for Volume in This Prism Problem?

I was overthinking it. In summary, the volume V of the package can be represented as V(x) = x^3(100 - 4x)^2, where x is the width and height in centimeters.
MrJamesta

Homework Statement

A package sent by a courier has the shape of a square prism. The sum of the length of the prism and the perimeter of its base is 100cm. Write a polynomial function to represent the volume V of the package in terms of x.
width and height are in x centimeters, length is in y centimeters

The Attempt at a Solution

4x+y=100
4x+y-100
V(x)=(x^2)(y)(4x+y-100)
V(x)=(4x^3y + x^2y^2 - 100x^2y)
V(x)=x^2y(4x+y-100)

This is as far as I got, am I going in the right direction? Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
MrJamesta said:

Homework Statement

A package sent by a courier has the shape of a square prism. The sum of the length of the prism and the perimeter of its base is 100cm. Write a polynomial function to represent the volume V of the package in terms of x.
width and height are in x centimeters, length is in y centimeters

The Attempt at a Solution

4x+y=100
4x+y-100
V(x)=(x^2)(y)(4x+y-100)
V(x)=(4x^3y + x^2y^2 - 100x^2y)
V(x)=x^2y(4x+y-100)

This is as far as I got, am I going in the right direction? Where did I go wrong?
From your first equation above, solve for y to get the length of the prism in terms of x.

Your formula for volume is incorrect, I believe, but I don't know how the problem is defining the term "prism." Is it just a rectangular box? If so, the volume is length x width x height. The volume shouldn't also include the perimeter.

Mark44 said:
From your first equation above, solve for y to get the length of the prism in terms of x.

Your formula for volume is incorrect, I believe, but I don't know how the problem is defining the term "prism." Is it just a rectangular box? If so, the volume is length x width x height. The volume shouldn't also include the perimeter.

Thank you very much, I was able to solve the question. And yes, it was just a rectangular box.

Related to How Do You Formulate a Polynomial for Volume in This Prism Problem?

What is a polynomial word problem?

A polynomial word problem is a mathematical problem that involves using polynomials, which are algebraic expressions consisting of variables and coefficients, to solve a real-world scenario or situation.

What are some common types of polynomial word problems?

Some common types of polynomial word problems include problems involving area and perimeter, problems involving volume and surface area, and problems involving rates, such as speed and distance.

How do you solve a polynomial word problem?

To solve a polynomial word problem, you first need to identify the variables and their corresponding values. Then, you can use algebraic equations and operations to manipulate the polynomials and solve for the unknown variable or variables.

What are some tips for solving polynomial word problems?

Some tips for solving polynomial word problems include reading the problem carefully, defining variables and writing down equations, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.

Why are polynomial word problems important?

Polynomial word problems are important because they allow us to apply mathematical concepts to real-life situations and develop problem-solving skills. They also help us understand and visualize mathematical concepts in a more practical and tangible way.