Writing the equations of a surface of revolution

In summary: So in this case, x= (a + b sin(u)) cos(v), y= (a + b sin(u)) sin(v), z= b cos(u).In summary, to write the equations of a surface of revolution with axis OZ, you can use the standard form of parametrization for a surface of revolution: x(u,v) = phi(v)*cos(u), y(u,v) = phi(v)*sin(u), z(u,v) = psi(v). You can then plug in the given equations for x, y, and z to find the functions phi and psi for each problem.
^_^physicist

Homework Statement

Write the equations of a surface of revolution with axis OZ:

A) the Torus obtained by a rotation of a circle x= a + b*sin(u), y= 0, z = b*sin(u)

0 < b < a

B) the pseduosphere obtained by the rotation of a tractrix x= a*sin(u), y=0, z= a*(log(tan(u/2) + cos(u))

C) the catenoid obtained by the rotation of the catenary x = a*cosh(u/a) y=0, z= u.

Homework Equations

Unfortuantly my professor gave the questions from another text, whose 1st chapter covers this material; however, it is not covered in my material (he claims that we should have enough intuition to figure this out, however, I don't seem to have it.

But besides that point, I was able to find the following general standard form of parametrization of a surface of revolution on mathworld's website:

x(u,v)= phi(v)*cos(u)
y(u,v)= phi(v)*sin(u)
z(u,v)= psi(v)

The Attempt at a Solution

As hinted at above, I don't quite have the background to tackle this problem. At the moment I have written down the standard form, as above; however, I don't know what the functions phi or psi are, nor do I have much of an idea of how to find them, so if there are any ideas of where to go with this.

Or I could be looking at this the entirely wrong way. So any help would be appreached so I can get this started.

(Oh and the website that I snaged the equation from is as follows:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SurfaceofRevolution.html)

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions on where to get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that a surface can be given as parametric equations with two parameters: x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v).

In the first problem, "A) the Torus obtained by a rotation of a circle x= a + b*sin(u), y= 0, z = b*sin(u) " you are already given a parameter u. Since you are rotating around the z-axis, let v be the angle made with the x-axis. Obviously z will not change but x= r cos(v), y= r sin(v) where r is the distance in the xz-plane (in other words, x).

Related to Writing the equations of a surface of revolution

1. What is a surface of revolution?

A surface of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional curve around an axis. This creates a symmetrical, curved surface.

2. How do you write the equation of a surface of revolution?

The equation of a surface of revolution is typically written in terms of its rotation axis and a generating curve. The exact equation will vary depending on the specific shape and orientation of the surface.

3. What are some common examples of surfaces of revolution?

Some common examples of surfaces of revolution include cones, cylinders, spheres, and tori (donut shapes).

4. Can the equation of a surface of revolution be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of a surface of revolution can be written in various forms, such as Cartesian coordinates, parametric equations, or polar coordinates. The form of the equation will depend on the given information and the desired representation.

5. What is the purpose of writing the equation of a surface of revolution?

Writing the equation of a surface of revolution allows us to accurately describe and analyze the shape and properties of the surface. This is important in fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics where surfaces of revolution are commonly used in real-world applications.