Writing the Einstein action in terms of tetrads

In summary, Pullin shows how to write the Einstein action in terms of tetrads e^a_I. Part of the proof is: "...the last term yields e_M^{[a} e_N^{b]} \delta^M_{[I} \delta^K_{J]} C_{bK}^{\;\;\; N}. It is easy to check that the prefactor in this expression is nondegenerate..."
julian
Gold Member
In the paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/9301028.pdf pages 8-9 Pullin shows how to write the Einstein action in terms of tetrads [itex]e^a_I[/itex]. Part of the proof is: "...the last term yields [itex]e_M^{[a} e_N^{b]} \delta^M_{[I} \delta^K_{J]} C_{bK}^{\;\;\; N}[/itex]. It is easy to check that the prefactor in this expression is nondegenerate..."

Can somebody explain how you do this check?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want to check that the antisymmetrizations do not cause the prefactor to be zero for any indices a,I,J; that is all.

Could you elaborate a bit please?

I know that when you have [itex]M_{ab} v_b = 0[/itex], if the [itex]M_{ab}[/itex] is non-degenerate, (has no zero eigenvalues, or equaivalently a non-zero determinant), it implies [itex]v_b = 0[/itex].

Is Pullin's case the same, we are dealing with the direct product of three matrices though? Do we need to do it show the determinant of the direct product matrix is zero?

Is the antisymmetrizations you mentioned related to the calculation of this determinant?

Or is it to do with something more simple?

Yeah it's exactly like that, except now you have some euclidean indices from the tetrads to mess up the notation... But your equation basically reads [itex] M^{ab} V_b = 0 [/itex]. But now your M is a tensor product of two vectors. Remember also that the tetrad vectors are orthogonal to each other. Perhaps that helps? I'm not entirely sure, I didn't actually bother to do it :D Whenever something reads "it's easy to see that... " you're probably going to have a bad time.

If [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] is a [itex]m \times m [/itex] matrix and [itex]B_{ij}[/itex] is a [itex]n \times n[/itex] matrix, the direct product is

[itex]C = A \otimes B[/itex]

where [itex]C[/itex] is an [itex]mn \times mn[/itex] matrix with elements

[itex]C_{\alpha \beta} = A_{ij} B_{kl}[/itex]

with

[itex]\alpha = n (i-1) + k , \;\;\;\; \beta = n(j-1) + l[/itex].

The determinant of [itex]C_{\alpha \beta}[/itex] is given by the usual formula

[itex]
det C_{\alpha \beta} = {1 \over (mn)!} \sum_{\alpha_1 \beta_1} \cdots \sum_{\alpha_{mn} \beta_{mn}}
\epsilon_{\alpha_1 \dots \alpha_{mn}} \epsilon_{\beta_1 \dots \beta_{mn}}
C_{\alpha_1 \beta_1} \dots C_{\alpha_{mn} \beta_{mn}}
[/itex].

In terms of [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] and [itex]B_{kl}[/itex] this becomes

[itex]
det C_{\alpha \beta} = {1 \over (mn)!} \sum_{i_1, j_1, k_1, l_1} \cdots
\sum_{i_{mn}, j_{mn}, k_{mn}, l_{mn}}
\epsilon_{n(i_1 - 1) + k_1 \cdots n(i_{mn} - 1) + k_{mn}}
\epsilon_{n(j_1 - 1) + l_1 \cdots n(j_{mn} - 1) + l_{mn}}
[/itex]
[itex]
A_{i_1 j_1} B_{k_1 l_1} \dots A_{i_{mn} j_{mn}} B_{k_{mn} l_{mn}}
[/itex].

Looks a bit daunting

Last edited:
Actually looking into it you have the simple formula

[itex]det C = (det A)^n (det B)^m[/itex].

This is easy to see if [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are diagonal, this suggests a way to prove the result when [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] can be diagonalised.

Last edited:
Proof of original statement...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81787406/nondegen.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Writing the Einstein action in terms of tetrads

1. What is the Einstein action in terms of tetrads?

The Einstein action in terms of tetrads is a mathematical formulation of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space and time. Tetrads, also known as vierbeins, are a set of four basis vectors that can be used to represent the spacetime geometry in terms of local coordinates. This formulation allows for a more intuitive and geometric interpretation of the theory.

2. How is the Einstein action written in terms of tetrads?

The Einstein action in terms of tetrads is written as a combination of the Ricci scalar (which represents the curvature of spacetime) and the tetrads themselves. This can be expressed using the Palatini formalism, where the tetrads are treated as independent variables and the action is varied with respect to them. The resulting equations of motion are then equivalent to the Einstein field equations.

3. What is the significance of writing the Einstein action in terms of tetrads?

Writing the Einstein action in terms of tetrads allows for a more elegant and geometric formulation of the theory of general relativity. It also allows for a better understanding of the physical meaning behind the equations, as tetrads can be interpreted as local frames of reference that describe the geometry of spacetime at a particular point.

4. Are there any advantages to using tetrads in the Einstein action?

Yes, there are several advantages to using tetrads in the Einstein action. First, it allows for a more intuitive and geometric interpretation of the theory. Additionally, tetrads can be used to describe the gravitational field and matter fields simultaneously, making it a useful tool for studying the interactions between them. Tetrads can also simplify calculations and provide a more efficient way of solving the equations of motion.

5. How does the Einstein action in terms of tetrads relate to other formulations of general relativity?

The Einstein action in terms of tetrads is mathematically equivalent to other formulations of general relativity, such as the metric formulation. However, it offers a different perspective and can be more useful in certain situations. For example, tetrads can be particularly helpful in studying the behavior of gravitational waves and in the search for a quantum theory of gravity.