Variation of the Einstein-Hilbert action in noncoordinate basis

In summary, the variation of the Einstein-Hilbert action in a coordinate basis can be simplified by neglecting a crucial divergence term. However, when varying in a non-coordinate basis, an extra term is obtained, which is given by ##C^c_{cd}\delta\Gamma^d_{ab}g^{ab}##. The derivation of this result involves the variation of the Riemann tensor in a non-coordinate basis and the structure constants ##C^c_{cd}##, which are spacetime functions associated with the basis and do not disappear upon variation. The mystery of where the additional term comes from remains unsolved.
center o bass
The variation of the Einstein Hilbert action is usually done in coordinate basis where there is a crucial divergence term one can neglect which arise in the variation of the Ricci tensor, and is given by ##g^{ab}\delta R_{ab} = \nabla_c w^c## where
$$w^c = g^{ab}(g^{db} \delta \Gamma^{c}_{db} - g^{cb} \delta\Gamma^c_{db})$$.
However, when one varies in a noncoordinate basis, one supposedly (see link below) get's an extra term and arrive at
$$g^{ab}\delta R_{ab} = \nabla_c w^c - C^c_{cd} \delta \Gamma^d_{ab}g^{ab}.$$

How is this result derived?

My calculations so far is the following: From the Riemann tensor in a noncoordinate basis ##\{e_a \}## with structure constants ##[e_b, e_c] = C^a_{bc}e_a## given by
$$R^a_{bcd} = e_c \Gamma^a_{db} - e_d\Gamma^a_{cb} + \Gamma^f_{db} \Gamma^a_{cf} - \Gamma^f_{cb} \Gamma^a_{df} - C^f_{cd} \Gamma^a_{fb}$$
the variation yields
$$\delta R^a_{bcd} = e_c \delta \Gamma^a_{db} - e_d\delta \Gamma^a_{cb} + \delta\Gamma^f_{db} \Gamma^a_{cf} + \Gamma^f_{db} \delta\Gamma^a_{cf} - \delta\Gamma^f_{cb} \Gamma^a_{df} - \Gamma^f_{cb} \delta \Gamma^a_{df} - C^f_{cd} \delta \Gamma^a_{fb}- \delta C^f_{cd} \Gamma^a_{fb}$$
From here we can extract three terms of the respective covariant derivatives ##\nabla_d \delta \Gamma^a_{cb}## and ##\nabla_c \delta \Gamma^a_{db}##; however the terms ##\Gamma^f_{cd}\delta \Gamma^a_{fb}## and ##\Gamma^f_{dc} \delta \Gamma^a_{fb}## are not present. Taking these into account, I get
$$\delta R^a_{bcd} = \nabla_c \delta \Gamma^a_{db} - \nabla_d \delta \Gamma^a_{cb} + (\Gamma^f_{cd} - \Gamma^f_{dc}) \delta \Gamma^a_{fb} - C_{cd}^f\delta\Gamma^a_{fb} - \delta C_{cd}^f\Gamma^a_{fb}= \nabla_c \delta \Gamma^a_{db} - \nabla_d \delta \Gamma^a_{cb}- \delta C_{cd}^f\Gamma^a_{fb}.$$
If there are no error in my calculations, where do I go from here? Assuming I have done nothing wrong so far, it seems like one must achieve the equality ##\delta C_{cd}^f\Gamma^c_{fb} g^{db} = C^c_{cd} \delta \Gamma^d_{ab}g^{ab}##.. Any ideas on how this equality might be obtained?Equation (2.9) in: http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jmp/15/6/10.1063/1.1666735

Physics news on Phys.org
As the subject of the thread states, I wonder about noncoordinate bases. I.e. bases for which ##e_a \neq \partial_a##.

Tangent space basis vectors like ##e_a = f \partial_a## commute, so the problem goes away for them.
If ##{C^f}_{cd}## is constant, then is ##\delta {C^f}_{cd} = 0## ?

In which case you need ## {C^c}_{cd} = 0##, which could be the case.

[Edit]
I guess you saw my deleted post.

Mentz114 said:
Tangent space basis vectors like ##e_a = f \partial_a## commute, so the problem goes away for them.

[Edit]

When one varies the components of the
metric (expressed in a basis), one also varies the associated basis, and since the structure constants are spacetime functions associated to a particular basis, these varies too. Thus, it seems like the variation of the structure constant does not disappear.

Mentz114 said:

[Edit]

To correct my previous answer to you, I do agree that the structure constants are constant, since the variation is performed for a fixed basis.

Thus, the mystery where the additional term involving ##C_{cd}^{\ \ c}## comes from is even bigger.

Related to Variation of the Einstein-Hilbert action in noncoordinate basis

1. What is the Einstein-Hilbert action?

The Einstein-Hilbert action is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of space-time in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is calculated by integrating the Ricci scalar curvature over space-time.

2. How does the Einstein-Hilbert action vary in noncoordinate basis?

In noncoordinate basis, the Einstein-Hilbert action varies by the addition of a term called the "torsion" term. This term takes into account the variation of the metric in a noncoordinate basis, which can affect the overall dynamics of space-time.

3. What is the significance of variation of the Einstein-Hilbert action in noncoordinate basis?

The variation of the Einstein-Hilbert action in noncoordinate basis is significant because it allows for a more accurate description of space-time dynamics in certain situations, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields or in the early universe. It also helps to reconcile general relativity with other theories, such as quantum mechanics.

4. How is the variation of the Einstein-Hilbert action in noncoordinate basis calculated?

The calculation of the variation of the Einstein-Hilbert action in noncoordinate basis involves the use of mathematical tools such as differential forms and exterior calculus. These methods allow for a more general and concise expression of the action in noncoordinate basis.

5. Are there any experimental tests for the variation of the Einstein-Hilbert action in noncoordinate basis?

Currently, there are no direct experimental tests for the variation of the Einstein-Hilbert action in noncoordinate basis. However, there are ongoing efforts to search for potential effects of torsion in gravitational experiments and astrophysical observations, which could provide indirect evidence for the variation of the action.