Writing my first paper for publishing, we or I?

In summary, the conversation discusses the etiquette of using "I" or "we" when writing a paper for publishing in the field of chemistry and physics. The speaker is a undergraduate student seeking to publish their first paper, with their professor as a coauthor. The agreed upon approach is to use "we" in the paper, as it is more appropriate when working with others on the project. The conversation also mentions the importance of clear and concise language in scientific writing.
Semiavas
Hello,

I came up with an idea, wen't through the steps and it consistently worked. So now I'm writing a paper on it to submit for publishing. Along with this being my first forum post this is my first paper to publish, and I'm also only in my undergraduate right now, so please pardon my beginner mistakes.

The subject matter is in chemistry and physics, but I believe a bit more on the chemistry side so I'm looking to publish with the American Chemical Society.
I've been basing my formatting and such on this sample:
http://pubs.acs.org/userimages/ContentEditor/1218647565844/jacsat_commun_sample.pdf

Now the situation I'm faced with is that I don't know whether to use "I" or "we" as they use we in the sample paper. I have a professor of mine on as the coauthor/adviser because he acquired the materials for me and helped me get started. However since I alone came up with the idea, performed the experiment, etc.., do I use "I did this..." or "We did this..." ? I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Semiavas said:
Hello,

I came up with an idea, wen't through the steps and it consistently worked. So now I'm writing a paper on it to submit for publishing. Along with this being my first forum post this is my first paper to publish, and I'm also only in my undergraduate right now, so please pardon my beginner mistakes.

The subject matter is in chemistry and physics, but I believe a bit more on the chemistry side so I'm looking to publish with the American Chemical Society.
I've been basing my formatting and such on this sample:
http://pubs.acs.org/userimages/ContentEditor/1218647565844/jacsat_commun_sample.pdf

Now the situation I'm faced with is that I don't know whether to use "I" or "we" as they use we in the sample paper. I have a professor of mine on as the coauthor/adviser because he acquired the materials for me and helped me get started. However since I alone came up with the idea, performed the experiment, etc.., do I use "I did this..." or "We did this..." ? I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is.

Thank you.
I don't know either. However, you should know that the verb "went" (past tense of "to go") is not a contraction.

Likes Semiavas
SteamKing said:
I don't know either. However, you should know that the verb "went" (past tense of "to go") is not a contraction.

Lol, oops. Not sure why I typed it like that.

'We' would tend to better etiquette if other people have been active collaborators, or you could just use neutral language.
"Test X showed consistently that the condition 'A' was necessary prior to condition 'B' occurring".

Likes Semiavas
rootone said:
'We' would tend to better etiquette if other people have been active collaborators, or you could just use neutral language.
"Test X showed consistently that the condition 'A' was necessary prior to condition 'B' occurring".

Thank you, I think I'll use the neutral language. I think it'll sound better and if someone cares enough they can always ask.

Neutral language for its own sake is not a good idea. If a sentence is clearer with "We" or "I", then you should use it. How do you know which option is clearer? Read this: http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/the-science-of-scientific-writing/1 . That should answer this question.

Regarding "We" or "I":
(a) if there is more than one author, "I" is out of the question. It has to be "We".
(b) if there is only one author, "We" is still fine. Especially in the context of explanations, the interpretation can be "I and the reader". I.e., pretend that the reader is closely following your argument.

Likes Semiavas
cgk said:
Neutral language for its own sake is not a good idea. If a sentence is clearer with "We" or "I", then you should use it. How do you know which option is clearer? Read this: http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/the-science-of-scientific-writing/1 . That should answer this question.

Regarding "We" or "I":
(a) if there is more than one author, "I" is out of the question. It has to be "We".
(b) if there is only one author, "We" is still fine. Especially in the context of explanations, the interpretation can be "I and the reader". I.e., pretend that the reader is closely following your argument.

Ah, I see what you mean. I'll use "we" then. Thank you.

I agree that if you have your professor as a coauthor, you should use 'we'. When I hear people use 'I', it just sounds unnatural and makes me raise an eyebrow a bit (unless it is a very well respected single author).

Related to Writing my first paper for publishing, we or I?

1. What is the difference between using "we" or "I" in a scientific paper?

Using "we" refers to the collective group of authors who conducted the research and contributed to the paper, while "I" refers to the individual author. The use of "we" is more common in scientific papers as it reflects collaboration and acknowledges the contributions of all authors.

2. Is it acceptable to use both "we" and "I" in a scientific paper?

While it is generally recommended to stick to one consistent point of view, it is acceptable to use both "we" and "I" in a scientific paper if it accurately reflects the contributions of the authors. However, it is important to be consistent throughout the paper and not switch between the two pronouns randomly.

3. When should I use "we" in a scientific paper?

"We" should be used when referring to actions or findings that were a collaborative effort among all authors. This includes describing the research methods, data analysis, and conclusions drawn from the study. It is also appropriate to use "we" when discussing future research directions or implications of the findings.

4. Can I use "I" to express personal opinions or experiences in a scientific paper?

In general, scientific papers should avoid personal opinions and focus on objective findings and data. However, if relevant, it is acceptable to use "I" to express personal experiences or reflections that are related to the research topic. It is important to ensure that these personal insights do not overshadow the scientific content of the paper.

5. How do I decide whether to use "we" or "I" in my scientific paper?

The decision to use "we" or "I" in a scientific paper should be based on the contributions of the authors and the content being discussed. If the research and findings were a collective effort, then "we" should be used. If the content is more personal or reflective, then "I" may be more appropriate. It is also important to follow the guidelines of the specific journal or publication you are submitting to.