Writing Computations Clearly In Proofs

In summary, the question is about writing clearly in proofs and the person is revising their proofs for self-study. They have to prove that a function f: G->G defined by f(x)=axa-1 is an automorphism and are deciding between two methods. Method 1 involves evaluating f(xy) while Method 2 involves using the definition of f(xy). The person prefers Method 2.
jmjlt88
Here's a quick question concerning writing clearly in proofs. I am revising and refining some of my proofs [this is for a self-study], and I across a problem where I had to prove that f: G->G defined by f(x)=axa-1 is a automorphism. To show it has the homomorphism property, I had to do some calculations. Which of the following would be more accepted?

METHOD 1

Evaulating f(xy), we get,

(1) f(xy)=axya-1
(2) =axeya-1 [property of e]
(3) =axa-1aya-1 [property of inverses]
(4) =f(x)f(y).
Hence, f(xy)=f(x)f(y).

METHOD 2

We have that f(xy)=axya-1. Then f(x)f(y)=axa-1aya-1=axya-1. Hence, f(xy)=f(x)f(y).

Thanks! :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I like (2) better in this case.

Related to Writing Computations Clearly In Proofs

1. What is the importance of writing computations clearly in proofs?

Writing computations clearly in proofs is crucial for several reasons. First, it allows for easier understanding and verification of the proof. By clearly showing each step of the computation, it becomes easier to follow the logic and identify any errors. Additionally, it makes the proof more transparent and easier for others to replicate or build upon. Finally, writing computations clearly can help to avoid mistakes and ensure the accuracy of the proof.

2. How should computations be written in a proof?

In general, computations in a proof should be written in a structured and organized manner. This may include breaking down complex computations into smaller, more manageable steps, and clearly labeling each step. It is also important to use proper mathematical notation and symbols to denote operations and variables. Additionally, it is helpful to include explanations or justifications for each step to make the computation more understandable.

3. How can I check if my computations are correct in a proof?

One way to check for correctness is to double-check each step of the computation to ensure it is accurate and follows logical reasoning. It can also be helpful to use a calculator or computer program to verify the results of the computation. If possible, it is always beneficial to have someone else review the proof and provide feedback on the computations.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when writing computations in proofs?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to watch out for when writing computations in proofs. These include skipping steps, using incorrect mathematical notation or symbols, and making arithmetic errors. It is also important to be careful when using properties or theorems in a proof, as any mistakes in their application can lead to incorrect computations.

5. How can I improve my skills in writing computations clearly in proofs?

Like any skill, improving in writing computations in proofs takes practice. It can be helpful to study and understand common proof techniques and strategies, as well as familiarizing yourself with common mathematical notation and symbols. It is also beneficial to read and analyze well-written proofs to see how computations are presented clearly and effectively. Additionally, seeking feedback and practicing consistently can help to improve your skills in writing computations in proofs.