Is the negation of the statement in the book correct too?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem of definition by recursion, specifically the part where a contradiction is derived in the proof. The book states that if there is a function f: N -> H such that f(1)=e and f o s = k o f, then for any (n,y) in f that is not equal to (1,e), there exists (m,u) in f such that (n,y) = (s(m), k(u)). The poster questions the validity of this statement and presents their own negation, which they believe to be equivalent. The other person confirms that the negation is correct and suggests looking at a list of rules for negation for further reference. The poster
member 587159
Hello.

I'm currently studying about natural numbers and I encountered the theorem of definition by recursion:

This states:

Let ##H## be a set, let ##e \in H## and let ##k: H \rightarrow H## be a function. Then there is a unique function ##f: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow H## such that ##f(1) = e## and ##f \circ s = k \circ f##

I will not post the entire proof here, as it is a quite long proof, but the part where I have a question about.

In the proof, they prove that:

If ##(n,y) \in f## and ##(n,y) \neq (1,e)##, then there is some ##(m,u) \in f## such that ##(n,y) = (s(m), k(u))##

They do this by deriving a contradiction. I quote the book:

Suppose to the contrary that there is some ##(r,t) \in f## such that ##(r,t) \neq (1,e)##, and that there is no ##(m,u) \in f## such that ##(r,t) = (s(m),k(u))##

Writing out the statement we want to proof with symbols, we get:

##(n,y) \in f \land (n,y) \neq (1,e) \Rightarrow \exists (m,u) \in f : (n,y) = (s(m), k(u))##

I think, if we negate this (to start with a contradiction), we should have instead:

##(n,y) \in f \land (n,y) \neq (1,e) \land \forall (m,u) \in f : (n,y) \neq (s(m), k(u))##
and thus, since the book recalls ##(n,y) = (r,t)## since ##(n, y)## was used previously:

##(r,t) \in f \land (r,t) \neq (1,e) \Rightarrow \forall (m,u) \in f : (r,t) \neq (s(m), k(u))##

Is the statement in the book correct too and are both logically equivalent or...?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is s?

Something went wrong with formatting in the second part of the post.

Likes member 587159
mfb said:
What is s?

Something went wrong with formatting in the second part of the post.

Trying to fix it, I don't find the mistake:

s is a function ##\mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}## that is defined by the Peano Postulates.

EDIT: fixed the Latex

Okay, so we get f(1)=e, f(2)=k(e), f(3)=k(k(e)) and so on.

Replaying n by r and y by t doesn't change anything.

Likes member 587159
mfb said:
Okay, so we get f(1)=e, f(2)=k(e), f(3)=k(k(e)) and so on.

Replaying n by r and y by t doesn't change anything.

Yes but that's not the question. They just do that because they used (n,y) previously and otherwise it could cause confusion.

You asked if they are equivalent?
The negation looks right.

Likes member 587159
mfb said:
You asked if they are equivalent?
The negation looks right.

Yes, is the book's negation correct? And mine?

mfb said:
That's what I said.

So they are equivalent? How can I verify that other than just thinking about it? Are there rules for?

mfb said:
Again: yes.
Wikipedia has a list of rules for negation.

I don't see anything about negations involving quantifiers. But I guess it's obvious, although I'm somewhat curious how one should prove these things, if this is even possible. Maybe they are axioms.

Likes member 587159

Related to Is the negation of the statement in the book correct too?

What is "Proof by Contradiction"?

"Proof by Contradiction" is a method of mathematical proof where one assumes the opposite of what they want to prove and then shows that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This allows one to conclude that the original statement must be true.

How does "Proof by Contradiction" work?

The basic steps of "Proof by Contradiction" are as follows:

1. Assume the opposite of what you want to prove.
  2. Follow the logical implications of this assumption.
  3. If this leads to a contradiction, then the opposite of your assumption must be true.
  4. Therefore, the original statement must be true.

When is "Proof by Contradiction" used?

"Proof by Contradiction" is often used to prove statements that are difficult to prove directly, or when other methods of proof are not applicable. It is also commonly used in mathematics to prove the existence of certain objects or to show that a statement is universally true.

What are the benefits of using "Proof by Contradiction"?

One benefit of using "Proof by Contradiction" is that it can simplify complex proofs by reducing them to a single contradiction. It also allows for a clear and concise presentation of the proof, making it easier for others to understand and follow. Additionally, this method can often lead to insights and new discoveries in mathematics.

Are there any limitations to "Proof by Contradiction"?

While "Proof by Contradiction" can be a powerful tool in mathematics, it is not always applicable. In some cases, the contradiction may not be obvious or may be difficult to reach. Additionally, this method may not always provide a constructive proof, meaning it may not give any insight into why the original statement is true.