Writing a Personal Statement when undecided about area of research

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of personal statements for grad school applications and how to handle them when undecided about a specific area of research. The general consensus is that it is acceptable to mention that you are undecided but interested in exploring various research areas at the university you are applying to. It is important to show that you have put thought into your interests and motivations for pursuing graduate school and have researched the opportunities available at the specific university. Some applications may ask for a specific thesis topic, but it is not necessary to have one ready. It is acceptable to change your mind once in the program.
blondie68
I'm writing personal statements for my grad school applications, and in most of the threads in this forum giving advice for personal statements, they say to add a paragraph talking about specifically what research at that university interests you, and what professors you might like to work with.

However, while I know that I want to work in experimental physics, I'm not particularly attached to any area of physics, though I've done research in both High Energy and Gravitational Wave Physics. I assume I'm not going to be able to mention specific professors, but is it okay to say that I'm applying to a particular university because while I'm undecided, they have several areas of physics that I might be interested in exploring?

Any advice on how to handle the personal statement when undecided about the area of research would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I would say it is OK to say that you are not entirely certain of what area of physics you like to do and then mention that you are applying to such and such a school because they have strong research groups in the areas that do interest you. This is what I did in my SOP last year and I got into 6 schools.

This can go either way, I now a lot of Profs who will filter potential grad students based on the SOP. It probably depends on the school and whether or not the PI can afford to be picky about accepting incoming students. At very least I would suggest looking into several research areas at the school that interest you, and essentially let them know why you are applying to their program.

If it helps, it's okay to change your mind once you're in.

What they're generally looking for is that you've put some thought into what you want to do, that you understand what you're getting yourself into and you're motivated enough to make it through graduate school, that you've investigated the opportunities that particular school has available, and that your interests in their program are genuine.

I'm having this same problem. It seems like they want me to know exactly what I want to study and have a thesis topic ready to go. Hopefully this isn't really true, or I won't be getting in.

Phyisab**** said:
It seems like they want me to know exactly what I want to study and have a thesis topic ready to go.

I'd be interested in knowing what specifically they said that makes you conclude that.

Most of applications I filled out had areas which asked for the topic I intended to focus on.

OK, so how do you get from "what topic do you want to focus on" to "now exactly what I want to study and have a thesis topic ready to go"?

You caught me in an exaggeration. They want me to have a good idea of what topic I want to study, and I have none.

Related to Writing a Personal Statement when undecided about area of research

1. What is a personal statement?

A personal statement is a brief essay or statement that outlines your academic and personal background, as well as your goals and aspirations. It is typically required as part of the application process for graduate programs or research positions, and serves as a way for you to showcase your unique qualities and experiences.

2. How do I approach writing a personal statement if I am undecided about my area of research?

If you are undecided about your area of research, it is important to focus on your strengths and interests instead. Reflect on your academic and personal experiences, and think about the skills and qualities that make you a strong candidate for graduate studies or research. You can also discuss any relevant courses or projects that have sparked your interest and how they have influenced your decision to pursue further studies.

3. Should I mention all the potential areas of research I am interested in?

It is not necessary to mention all the potential areas of research you are interested in. Instead, you can focus on a few specific areas that align with your academic background and personal interests. This will allow you to provide more depth and detail in your statement, rather than spreading yourself too thin by mentioning too many potential areas.

4. How can I demonstrate my passion for research in my personal statement?

In order to demonstrate your passion for research, you can provide specific examples of research projects or experiences that you have been involved in. This can include any research papers you have written, conferences you have attended, or collaborations with faculty members. Additionally, you can discuss how your academic and personal experiences have contributed to your interest in pursuing research in the future.

5. How long should a personal statement be?

The length of a personal statement can vary depending on the specific requirements of the application. However, it is typically recommended to keep it between 500-1000 words. It is important to be concise and focused in your writing, highlighting the most important aspects of your academic and personal background that make you a strong candidate for graduate studies or research.