Writing a differential equation to describe cooling

In summary, the law of cooling states that the temperature of an object changes at a rate proportional to the difference between the temperature of the object itself and the temperature of its environment. To find the rate of cooling for an object, one must find the function, q(t), such that its derivative is equal to itself, minus 70, times 0.05.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Newton's Law of Cooling states that the temperature of an object changes at a rate proportional to the difference between the temperature of the object itself and the temperature of its environment.

Suppose the ambient air temperature is 70*F and that the rate constant is 0.05min^-1.

Write a differential equation for the temperature change the object undergoes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just starting with DE in preparation for fall.

I just wrote:

let q be heat, t be time in minutes.

(dq/dt) = 0.05(q-70)

Is that really it?

And solving this differential equation, would mean finding a function, q(t), such that its derivative is equal to itself, minus 70, times 0.05, for any value of t?

Does that mean that modeling and solving differential equations is mainly a method of finding an equation that models a situation by examining the behavior of its rate of change?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is that easy, if your 'heat' variable q means temperature.

Actually, it is NOT quite that easy! If the initial temperature, q, is greater than the ambient temperature, 70, then the object will cool! That is, q will decrease and dq/dt is negative. If the initial temperature, q, is lower than the ambient temperature, 70, then the object will warm! That is, q will increase and dq/dt is positive.

dq/dt= 0.05(70- q) or dq/dt= -0.05(q- 70)

Since it introduced it as the "law of cooling" my instinct was to write a de for the rate of cooling, not heating.

1MileCrash said:
Since it introduced it as the "law of cooling" my instinct was to write a de for the rate of cooling, not heating.

Halls is right. I missed the sign. You have to think about the physics of the situation to get the right sign. If u is greater than 70 it should be cooling, if u is less the 70 it should be heating.

I understand what you are saying. I mean that I "chose" a drop in temperature to be positive. I see why this may be considered awkward.

1MileCrash said:
I understand what you are saying. I mean that I "chose" a drop in temperature to be positive. I see why this may be considered awkward.

It's worse than awkward. It's wrong. I was sloppy in overlooking it. Sorry.

Still easy. :P

Related to Writing a differential equation to describe cooling

1. How do I write a differential equation to describe cooling?

To write a differential equation for cooling, we can use Newton's Law of Cooling which states that the rate of change of temperature is proportional to the difference between the current temperature and the ambient temperature. This can be represented as dT/dt = -k(T-T0), where T represents the temperature at any given time, T0 represents the ambient temperature, and k is a constant that depends on the specific system.

2. What are the variables in a differential equation for cooling?

The variables in a differential equation for cooling are time (t) and temperature (T). T is often represented as a function of time, T(t), to show how the temperature changes over time.

3. How do I determine the value of the constant k in the cooling equation?

The value of the constant k in the cooling equation can be determined by conducting experiments or using known values for the system. For example, if the cooling rate of an object is known at a specific temperature and time, we can solve for k and use that value in the differential equation.

4. Can I use the cooling equation to describe all cooling processes?

The cooling equation is a simplified model that can be used to describe many cooling processes. However, it may not be accurate for all systems and conditions. Factors such as airflow, insulation, and heat transfer can affect the rate of cooling and may need to be considered in more complex models.

5. How can I use the cooling equation to predict the temperature of an object at a specific time?

By solving the differential equation for cooling, we can obtain a function T(t) that represents the temperature of the object at any given time. By plugging in a specific time value into this function, we can predict the temperature of the object at that time. However, it is important to note that this prediction may not be completely accurate as external factors may affect the cooling process.