How Accurate Are These Chemistry Calculation Methods?

• Thread starter ConfusedStudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Couple
In summary, in the first conversation, the equation KCN+HCl=KCl+HCN is balanced and in the calculation of the amount of HCN formed, 0.058 grams is obtained. In the second conversation, the balanced equation for Ammonium Nitrate decomposing to form N2O and H2O is written and 20.24 grams of N2O is formed when 0.46 moles of Ammonium Nitrate is used. In the third conversation, the number of moles of H3PO4 that will react with 5.55 moles of Ba(OH)2 to form Ba(H2PO4)2 and water is calculated using mole ratios. Lastly, in
ConfusedStudent
Consider this eq, It is balanced:
KCN+HCl=KCl+HCN

If a sample of 0.140g of KCN is treated with an excess of HCl, calculate the amount of HCN formed, in grams:

I just want to know if I did this right

0.140g KCN/65g KCN = x/27g HCN
and I got .058 g

Another probem:
Ammonium Nitrate decomposes to form n2o and h20, write a balanced eq. How many grams of n20 are formed if 0.46moles of Ammonium Nitrate is used in the reaction.

I did:
36.8 g NH4NO3/ 80g NH4NO3= x/44g N2O

I went ahead and converted mol to g in the beginning.

I got 20.24g N2O

One more question, :Calculate the number of moles of H3PO4 that will react with 5.55 mol of Ba(OH)2 to form Ba(H2PO4)2 and water

Now, I set up a mole ratios right?

Physics news on Phys.org
One more question:

2Al+3FeO=3Fe+Al2O3

When I am doing Mass to Mass ratio, I would do #g Al/ molecular weight Al x 2

for example if I am reacting 468g Al, I put it over 54g Al, not just 27.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes, you did the calculations correctly for both problems. For the first problem, you correctly used the molar mass of KCN to convert grams to moles, and then used the balanced equation to determine the moles of HCN formed. For the second problem, you again correctly used the molar mass of NH4NO3 to convert moles to grams, and then used the balanced equation to determine the moles of N2O formed.

For the last question, you are correct in setting up a mole ratio. Since the equation is not given, I will assume it is H3PO4 + Ba(OH)2 -> Ba(H2PO4)2 + H2O. The balanced equation shows that for every 1 mole of H3PO4, 1 mole of Ba(OH)2 is needed to form 1 mole of Ba(H2PO4)2 and 2 moles of H2O. Therefore, if there are 5.55 moles of Ba(OH)2, there must also be 5.55 moles of H3PO4 to fully react and form 5.55 moles of Ba(H2PO4)2.

What are some common types of chemistry problems?

Some common types of chemistry problems include stoichiometry, balancing chemical equations, calculating molar mass, identifying types of chemical reactions, and determining limiting reactants.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in chemistry?

One way to improve problem-solving skills in chemistry is to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to seek help from teachers or peers if needed.

Where can I find resources for solving chemistry problems?

There are many resources available for solving chemistry problems, including textbooks, online tutorials and practice problems, study groups, and tutoring services. Your teacher or professor may also have additional resources or recommendations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving chemistry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving chemistry problems include not paying attention to units, not properly balancing equations, and not double-checking calculations. It is also important to fully understand the concepts behind the problem rather than just memorizing formulas.

How can I approach a difficult chemistry problem?

When faced with a difficult chemistry problem, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller parts and to think about the problem visually or conceptually. It can also be beneficial to try different problem-solving strategies and to seek help from a teacher or peer if needed.