Calculating Precipitate Mass: How Much Can Form in a Chemical Reaction?

• Thread starter melxo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the question involves determining the maximum amount of precipitate that can form in a reaction between 24.8 g of BA(No3)2 and 25 mL of 0.329 M Na2So4. To solve this, you must first calculate the moles of each reactant and determine the limiting reactant. Then, using the reaction equation and the ratio of reactants to products, you can solve for the maximum amount of precipitate formed."
melxo
I have a question in my Chemistry homework that has to do with precipitates. Theres nothing in my notes what so ever and I ont remember my prof going over any of this. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Question:

24.8 g of BA(No3)2 were dissolved in enough water to make 150mL of solution. To this, 25 mL of 0.329 M Na2So4 was added and a precipitate formed.

What is the maximum amount of precipitate, in grams, that can form in this reaction?

so far I have...

moles Ba(NO3)2=24.8 g (1 mole/261.32g)=.0949

moles NA2(SO4)= .025L(.329M)=.008225 mol which is the limiting reactant

now what do i do?! and please don't just give me the answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the precipitate formed?
What is the ratio of reactants to products? (e.g. if A + 2B --> B2A, then B : B2A is 2 : 1)
Knowing this you can solve.

Start with the reaction equation, this is simple stoichiometry.

And post this type of the questions in the homework subforum. I am moving the thread.

Related to Calculating Precipitate Mass: How Much Can Form in a Chemical Reaction?

What is precipitate mass?

Precipitate mass refers to the amount or weight of solid material that forms when a chemical reaction occurs between two or more substances in a solution.

How is precipitate mass measured?

Precipitate mass can be measured using a balance or scale that is sensitive enough to detect small changes in weight. The precipitate is typically filtered out of the solution and then dried before being weighed.

What factors can affect precipitate mass?

The amount and concentration of the reactants, temperature, and the presence of other substances in the solution can all affect the amount of precipitate that forms and its mass.

Why is measuring precipitate mass important in scientific experiments?

Precipitate mass is an important factor to measure in chemical reactions because it can provide information about the rate and extent of the reaction, as well as the identity and properties of the products formed.

How can precipitate mass be used in industrial processes?

Precipitate mass is often used in industrial processes to monitor and control chemical reactions, such as in wastewater treatment or the production of pharmaceuticals. By accurately measuring the precipitate mass, companies can ensure the efficiency and quality of their products and processes.